Incremental cost-effectiveness ratios (ICERs): The silence of the lambda
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bernie J. O'Brien & Kirsten Gertsen & Andrew R. Willan & A. Faulkner, 2002. "Is there a kink in consumers' threshold value for cost-effectiveness in health care?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 175-180.
- Birch, Stephen & Donaldson, Cam, 2003. "Valuing the benefits and costs of health care programmes: where's the 'extra' in extra-welfarism?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 1121-1133, March.
- Birch, Stephen & Gafni, Amiram, 2003. "Economics and the evaluation of health care programmes: generalisability of methods and implications for generalisability of results," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 207-219, May.
- Weinstein, Milton & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1973. "Critical ratios and efficient allocation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 147-157, April.
- Stephen Birch & Amiram Gafni, 2002. "On being NICE in the UK: guidelines for technology appraisal for the NHS in England and Wales," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 185-191.
- Jeffrey S. Hoch & Andrew H. Briggs & Andrew R. Willan, 2002. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue: a framework for the marriage of health econometrics and cost-effectiveness analysis," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(5), pages 415-430.
- Bleichrodt, Han & Quiggin, John, 1999. "Life-cycle preferences over consumption and health: when is cost-effectiveness analysis equivalent to cost-benefit analysis?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 681-708, December.
- Birch, Stephen & Gafni, Amiram, 1992. "Cost effectiveness/utility analyses : Do current decision rules lead us to where we want to be?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 279-296, October.
- P. Sendi & A. Gafni & S. Birch, 2002. "Opportunity costs and uncertainty in the economic evaluation of health care interventions," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 23-31.
- Andrew R. Willan & Bernie J. O'Brien, 1999. "Sample size and power issues in estimating incremental cost-effectiveness ratios from clinical trials data," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 203-211.
- Stephen Birch & Joy Melnikow & Miriam Kuppermann, 2003. "Conservative versus aggressive follow up of mildly abnormal Pap smears: Testing for process utility," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(10), pages 879-884.
- Peter H. Farquhar & Anthony R. Pratkanis, 1993. "Decision Structuring with Phantom Alternatives," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1214-1226, October.
- repec:ohe:monogr:000489 is not listed on IDEAS
- Johannesson, Magnus, 1995. "The relationship between cost-effectiveness analysis and cost-benefit analysis," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 483-489, August.
- Ben A. Van Hout & Maiwenn J. Al & Gilad S. Gordon & Frans F. H. Rutten, 1994. "Costs, effects and C/E‐ratios alongside a clinical trial," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(5), pages 309-319, September.
- Gafni, Amiram & Birch, Stephen, 1995. "Preferences for outcomes in economic evaluation: An economic approach to addressing economic problems," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 767-776, March.
- Drummond, Michael & Torrance, George & Mason, James, 1993. "Cost-effectiveness league tables: More harm than good?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 33-40, July.
- Williams, Alan & Cookson, Richard, 2000. "Equity in health," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 35, pages 1863-1910 Elsevier.
- Aaron A. Stinnett & John Mullahy, 1998. "Net Health Benefits: A New Framework for the Analysis of Uncertainty in Cost-Effectiveness Analysis," NBER Technical Working Papers 0227, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew H. Briggs, 1999. "A Bayesian approach to stochastic cost-effectiveness analysis," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 257-261.
- Gafni, Amiram & Birch, Stephen, 1997. "QALYs and HYEs Spotting the differences," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 601-608, October.
- Birch, Stephen & Gafni, Amiram, 1993. "Changing the problem to fit the solution: Johannesson and Weinstein's (mis) application of economics to real world problems," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 469-476, December.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Sofosbuvir: a fork in the road for NICE?
by Chris Sampson in The Academic Health Economists' Blog on 2015-01-20 17:21:00
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hultkrantz, Lars & Svensson, Mikael, 2012.
"A Comparison of Benefit Cost and Cost Utility Analysis in Practice: Divergent Policies in Sweden,"
Karlstad University Working Papers in Economics
1, Karlstad University, Department of Economics.
- Hultkrantz, Lars & Svensson, Mikael, 2012. "A Comparison of Benefit Cost and Cost Utility Analysis in Practice: Divergent Policies in Sweden," Working Papers 2012:5, Örebro University, School of Business.
- van der Star, Sanne M. & van den Berg, Bernard, 2011. "Individual responsibility and health-risk behaviour: A contingent valuation study from the ex ante societal perspective," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 300-311, August.
- Gandjour, Afschin & Chernyak, Nadja, 2011. "A new prize system for drug innovation," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 170-177.
- repec:spr:aphecp:v:15:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s40258-017-0305-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:socmed:v:196:y:2018:i:c:p:227-232 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:annopr:v:251:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s10479-015-1910-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Heather McDonald & Cathy Charles & Laurie Elit & Amiram Gafni, 2015. "The Silence in Hoch et al.’s Commentary about the Rationale for and Objective(s) of Canada’s Separate HTA Process for Cancer Drugs: The Importance of Transparency and Accountability when Allocating Ta," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 33(8), pages 883-886, August.
- Brousselle, Astrid & Lessard, Chantale, 2011. "Economic evaluation to inform health care decision-making: Promise, pitfalls and a proposal for an alternative path," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(6), pages 832-839, March.
- McKenna, Claire & Chalabi, Zaid & Epstein, David & Claxton, Karl, 2010.
"Budgetary policies and available actions: A generalisation of decision rules for allocation and research decisions,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 170-181, January.
- Claire McKenna & Zaid Chalabi & David Epstein & Karl Claxton, 2008. "Budgetary policies and available actions: a generalisation of decision rules for allocation and research decisions," Working Papers 044cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- James O’Mahony & Diarmuid Coughlan, 2016. "The Irish Cost-Effectiveness Threshold: Does it Support Rational Rationing or Might it Lead to Unintended Harm to Ireland’s Health System?," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 5-11, January.
- Peacock, Stuart J. & Richardson, Jeff R.J. & Carter, Rob & Edwards, Diana, 2007. "Priority setting in health care using multi-attribute utility theory and programme budgeting and marginal analysis (PBMA)," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 897-910, February.
- Afschin Gandjour, 2015. "Drug pricing and control of health expenditures: a comparison between a proportional decision rule and a cost-per-QALY rule," International Journal of Health Planning and Management, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 395-402, October.
- repec:spr:pharme:v:36:y:2018:i:5:d:10.1007_s40273-017-0606-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shavit, Oren, 2009. "Utilization of health technologies--Do not look where there is a light; shine your light where there is a need to look!: Relating national health goals with resource allocation decision-making; illust," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 92(2-3), pages 268-275, October.
- Daniel Howdon & James Lomas, 2017. "Pricing implications of non-marginal budgetary impacts in health technology assessment: a conceptual model," Working Papers 148cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
More about this item
KeywordsEconomic evaluation Cost-effectiveness analysis Decision rules Incremental cost-effectiveness ratio Health care costs;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:62:y:2006:i:9:p:2091-2100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.