Application and extension of the Moore and ReVelle Hierarchical Maximal Covering Model
In a paper published in Management Science in 1982, George Moore and Charles ReVelle proposed a location model for siting a hierarchical system of medical facilities. In this paper we apply the Moore and ReVelle Hierarchical Maximal Covering Model to the location of medical facilities in the Kohat district in Pakistan. Optimal solutions of the Moore and ReVelle model are compared against the actual location of medical facilities in this district. We then extend the Moore and ReVelle formulation to include fixed and variable costs for siting and operating the facilities. We compare the solutions of that formulation with the results of the original Moore and ReVelle model.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerard Rushton, 1984. "Use of Location-Allocation Models for Improving the Geographical Accessibility of Rural Services in Developing Countries," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 9(3), pages 217-240, December.
- Hasan Pirkul & David A. Schilling, 1991. "The Maximal Covering Location Problem with Capacities on Total Workload," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(2), pages 233-248, February.
- Oppong, Joseph R., 1996. "Accommodating the rainy season in Third World location-allocation applications," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 121-137, June.
- Narula, Subhash C., 1984. "Hierarchical location-allocation problems: A classification scheme," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 93-99, January.
- George C. Moore & Charles ReVelle, 1982. "The Hierarchical Service Location Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(7), pages 775-780, July.
- Bennett, Vivienne L. & Eaton, David J. & Church, Richard L., 1982. "Selecting sites for rural health workers," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 63-72, January.
- Alderman, Harold & Garcia, Marito, 1993. "Poverty, household food security, and nutrition in rural Pakistan:," Research reports 96, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:43:y:2009:i:2:p:92-101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.