Application and extension of the Moore and ReVelle Hierarchical Maximal Covering Model
In a paper published in Management Science in 1982, George Moore and Charles ReVelle proposed a location model for siting a hierarchical system of medical facilities. In this paper we apply the Moore and ReVelle Hierarchical Maximal Covering Model to the location of medical facilities in the Kohat district in Pakistan. Optimal solutions of the Moore and ReVelle model are compared against the actual location of medical facilities in this district. We then extend the Moore and ReVelle formulation to include fixed and variable costs for siting and operating the facilities. We compare the solutions of that formulation with the results of the original Moore and ReVelle model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bennett, Vivienne L. & Eaton, David J. & Church, Richard L., 1982. "Selecting sites for rural health workers," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 63-72, January.
- Alderman, Harold & Garcia, Marito, 1993. "Poverty, household food security, and nutrition in rural Pakistan:," Research reports 96, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gerard Rushton, 1984. "Use of Location-Allocation Models for Improving the Geographical Accessibility of Rural Services in Developing Countries," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 9(3), pages 217-240, December.
- George C. Moore & Charles ReVelle, 1982. "The Hierarchical Service Location Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(7), pages 775-780, July.
- Hasan Pirkul & David A. Schilling, 1991. "The Maximal Covering Location Problem with Capacities on Total Workload," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(2), pages 233-248, February.
- Oppong, Joseph R., 1996. "Accommodating the rainy season in Third World location-allocation applications," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 121-137, June.
- Narula, Subhash C., 1984. "Hierarchical location-allocation problems: A classification scheme," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 93-99, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:43:y:2009:i:2:p:92-101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.