Agency in national innovation systems: Institutional entrepreneurship and the professionalization of Taiwanese IT
This paper examines institutional entrepreneurship as a form of internal agency within national innovation systems. In particular, we consider the entrepreneurship of Taiwanese IT firms over 1980-2007 in creating a new professionalized organizational form markedly different from the traditional Taiwanese model of family business. We compare two successful sectors - personal computers and semiconductors - and one failure - hard disk drives. We emphasize how entrepreneurial firms used strategies of framing, aggregating and networking (F.A.N.) to build legitimacy, mobilize local resources and reach out beyond the limitations of their immediate contexts. We discuss how F.A.N. strategies may evolve from 'introversion' to 'extraversion' and develop implications for policy-makers and further research.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liu, Yunshi & Ahlstrom, David & Yeh, Kuang S., 2006. "The separation of ownership and management in Taiwan's public companies: An empirical study," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 415-435, August.
- Linsu Kim & James M. Utterback, 1983. "The Evolution of Organizational Structure and Technology in a Developing Country," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(10), pages 1185-1197, October.
- Fligstein, Neil, 2001. "Social Skill and the Theory of Fields," Center for Culture, Organizations and Politics, Working Paper Series qt26m187b1, Center for Culture, Organizations and Politics of theInstitute for Research on Labor and Employment, UC Berkeley.
- Alice H. Amsden & Wan-wen Chu, 2003. "Beyond Late Development: Taiwan's Upgrading Policies," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011980, June.
- Po-Keung Ip, 2008. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Crony Capitalism in Taiwan," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 79(1), pages 167-177, April.
- Landry, Rejean & Amara, Nabil, 1998. "The impact of transaction costs on the institutional structuration of collaborative academic research," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 901-913, December.
- Anne Tempel & Peter Walgenbach, 2007. "Global Standardization of Organizational Forms and Management Practices? What New Institutionalism and the Business-Systems Approach Can Learn from Each Other," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-24, 01.
- Schmitz, Hubert, 1999. "Global Competition and Local Cooperation: Success and Failure in the Sinos Valley, Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1627-1650, September.
- Storz, Cornelia, 2008. "Dynamics in innovation systems: Evidence from Japan's game software industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1480-1491, October.
- Dodgson, Mark & Mathews, John & Kastelle, Tim & Hu, Mei-Chih, 2008. "The evolving nature of Taiwan's national innovation system: The case of biotechnology innovation networks," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 430-445, April.
- Bengt-�ke Lundvall, 2007. "National Innovation Systems—Analytical Concept and Development Tool," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 95-119.
- Hiroatsu Nohara & Eric Verdier, 2001.
"Sources Of Resilience In The Computer And Software Industries In France,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 201-220.
- Hiroatsu Nohara & Eric Verdier, 2001. "Sources of Resilience in the Computer and Software Industries in France," Post-Print halshs-00390774, HAL.
- Anchordoguy, Marie, 2000. "Japan's software industry: a failure of institutions?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 391-408, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:40:y:2011:i:4:p:526-538. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.