A critical review on corrosion of compression ignition (CI) engine parts by biodiesel and biodiesel blends and its inhibition
This paper reviews the effects of corrosion on the engine parts that come in contact with a newly developed biodiesel fuel and its petrodiesel blend. Copper, aluminum, copper alloys (bronze), and elastomers caused significant levels of corrosiveness in biodiesel and biodiesel blend as opposed to low corrosion with petrodiesel. Specimens of stainless steel showed significant resistance to corrosion in biodiesel samples as compared to copper, aluminum, and copper alloys, but the level of corrosion was still higher than that in petrodiesel. Common methods adopted for measurement of corrosion include weight loss through static emersion tests, and electrochemical techniques by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy or on Potentiostat/Galvanostat. The surfaces of the specific metal strips were analyzed by optical, scanning electron, and atomic force microscopy, revealing the nature and extent of corrosion. Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy revealed formation of secondary product due to degradation, and X-ray diffractometer revealed formation of a new phase in the metal strips exposed to biodiesel and its blend with mineral diesel. Biodiesel seemed to degrade due to auto-oxidation and presence of moisture to secondary products that enhanced the corrosion rate. The problem related to the use of non-compatible materials as engine parts for biodiesel-run vehicles is dual in nature. The engine part in contact with the fuel is corroded as a result of fuel degradation, causing the fuel to go further off-specification.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jayed, M.H. & Masjuki, H.H. & Saidur, R. & Kalam, M.A. & Jahirul, M.I., 2009. "Environmental aspects and challenges of oilseed produced biodiesel in Southeast Asia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2452-2462, December.
- Haseeb, A.S.M.A. & Masjuki, H.H. & Siang, C.T. & Fazal, M.A., 2010. "Compatibility of elastomers in palm biodiesel," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2356-2361.
- Fazal, M.A. & Haseeb, A.S.M.A. & Masjuki, H.H., 2011. "Biodiesel feasibility study: An evaluation of material compatibility; performance; emission and engine durability," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 1314-1324, February.
- Haseeb, A.S.M.A. & Jun, T.S. & Fazal, M.A. & Masjuki, H.H., 2011. "Degradation of physical properties of different elastomers upon exposure to palm biodiesel," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 1814-1819.
- Fernando, Sandun & Karra, Prashanth & Hernandez, Rafael & Jha, Saroj Kumar, 2007. "Effect of incompletely converted soybean oil on biodiesel quality," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 844-851.
- Fazal, M.A. & Haseeb, A.S.M.A. & Masjuki, H.H., 2011. "Effect of temperature on the corrosion behavior of mild steel upon exposure to palm biodiesel," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 3328-3334.
- Jayed, M.H. & Masjuki, H.H. & Kalam, M.A. & Mahlia, T.M.I. & Husnawan, M. & Liaquat, A.M., 2011. "Prospects of dedicated biodiesel engine vehicles in Malaysia and Indonesia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 220-235, January.
- Boonyongmaneerat, Yuttanant & Sukjamsri, Chamaiporn & Sahapatsombut, Ukrit & Saenapitak, Sawalee & Sukkasi, Sittha, 2011. "Investigation of electrodeposited Ni-based coatings for biodiesel storage," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 909-913, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:16:y:2012:i:5:p:3401-3408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.