Prioritizing sustainable electricity production technologies: MCDM approach
Economic, technological, social, and political developments stressed the need for shifts in energy-mix. Therefore it is important to provide a rationale for sustainable decision making in energy policy. The aim of this paper is to develop the multi-criteria decision support framework for choosing the most sustainable electricity production technologies. Given selection of sustainable energy sources involves many conflicting criteria, multi-criteria decision methods MULTIMOORA and TOPSIS were employed for the analysis. The indicator system covering different approaches of sustainability was established. The analysis proved that the future energy policy should be oriented towards the sustainable energy technologies, namely water and solar thermal ones. It is the proposed multi-criteria assessment framework that can constitute a basis for further sub-regional optimization of sustainable energy policy.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Varun & Prakash, Ravi & Bhat, Inder Krishnan, 2009. "Energy, economics and environmental impacts of renewable energy systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2716-2721, December.
- Stamford, Laurence & Azapagic, Adisa, 2011. "Sustainability indicators for the assessment of nuclear power," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 6037-6057.
- Buytaert, V. & Muys, B. & Devriendt, N. & Pelkmans, L. & Kretzschmar, J.G. & Samson, R., 2011. "Towards integrated sustainability assessment for energetic use of biomass: A state of the art evaluation of assessment tools," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 3918-3933.
- Løken, Espen, 2007. "Use of multicriteria decision analysis methods for energy planning problems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(7), pages 1584-1595, September.
- Muis, Z.A. & Hashim, H. & Manan, Z.A. & Taha, F.M. & Douglas, P.L., 2010. "Optimal planning of renewable energy-integrated electricity generation schemes with CO2 reduction target," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2562-2570.
- Omer, Abdeen Mustafa, 2008. "Energy, environment and sustainable development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(9), pages 2265-2300, December.
- Doukas, Haris & Patlitzianas, Konstantinos D. & Psarras, John, 2006. "Supporting sustainable electricity technologies in Greece using MCDM," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 129-136, June.
- San Cristóbal, J.R., 2011. "Multi-criteria decision-making in the selection of a renewable energy project in spain: The Vikor method," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 498-502.
- Rovere, Emilio Lebre La & Soares, Jeferson Borghetti & Oliveira, Luciano Basto & Lauria, Tatiana, 2010. "Sustainable expansion of electricity sector: Sustainability indicators as an instrument to support decision making," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 422-429, January.
- Solomon, Barry D. & Krishna, Karthik, 2011. "The coming sustainable energy transition: History, strategies, and outlook," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 7422-7431.
- Varun & Bhat, I.K. & Prakash, Ravi, 2009. "LCA of renewable energy for electricity generation systems--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1067-1073, June.
- Begić, Fajik & Afgan, Naim H., 2007. "Sustainability assessment tool for the decision making in selection of energy system—Bosnian case," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 1979-1985.
- Gallego Carrera, Diana & Mack, Alexander, 2010. "Sustainability assessment of energy technologies via social indicators: Results of a survey among European energy experts," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 1030-1039, February.
- Supriyasilp, Thanaporn & Pongput, Kobkiat & Boonyasirikul, Thana, 2009. "Hydropower development priority using MCDM method," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1866-1875, May.
- Wang, Jiang-Jiang & Jing, You-Yin & Zhang, Chun-Fa & Zhao, Jun-Hong, 2009. "Review on multi-criteria decision analysis aid in sustainable energy decision-making," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2263-2278, December.
- Evans, Annette & Strezov, Vladimir & Evans, Tim J., 2009. "Assessment of sustainability indicators for renewable energy technologies," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1082-1088, June.
- Papadopoulos, Agis & Karagiannidis, Avraam, 2008. "Application of the multi-criteria analysis method Electre III for the optimisation of decentralised energy systems," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 766-776, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:16:y:2012:i:5:p:3302-3311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.