Thermo chemical conversion of biomass – Eco friendly energy routes
Biomass is indirect source of solar energy and it is renewable in nature. It is one of the most important energy source in near future because of its extensive spread availability and promising potential to reduce global warming. Thermo chemical conversion of biomass yield variety of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels and have equal importance both at industrial and ecological point of views. Present review gives holistic view of various thermo-chemical conversion route of biomass. Gasification technology, pyrolysis options and scope of potential by product from there routes like hydrogen and charcoal production comprehensively reviewed with present context.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Damartzis, T. & Zabaniotou, A., 2011. "Thermochemical conversion of biomass to second generation biofuels through integrated process design--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 366-378, January.
- Bridgwater, A. V. & Peacocke, G. V. C., 2000. "Fast pyrolysis processes for biomass," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-73, March.
- Adam, J.C., 2009. "Improved and more environmentally friendly charcoal production system using a low-cost retort–kiln (Eco-charcoal)," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1923-1925.
- Bhattacharya, S. C. & Basak, A. K., 1987. "Performance of a down-draft charcoal gasifier," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 193-216.
- Sharma, Avdhesh Kr., 2009. "Experimental study on 75kWth downdraft (biomass) gasifier system," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1726-1733.
- N. Panwar & N. Rathore & A. Kurchania, 2009. "Experimental investigation of open core downdraft biomass gasifier for food processing industry," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 14(6), pages 547-556, August.
- Panwar, N.L. & Kaushik, S.C. & Kothari, Surendra, 2011. "Role of renewable energy sources in environmental protection: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 1513-1524, April.
- Goyal, H.B. & Seal, Diptendu & Saxena, R.C., 2008. "Bio-fuels from thermochemical conversion of renewable resources: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 504-517, February.
- Ahmed, I. & Gupta, A.K., 2009. "Syngas yield during pyrolysis and steam gasification of paper," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(9), pages 1813-1821, September.
- Xiao, Ruirui & Chen, Xueli & Wang, Fuchen & Yu, Guangsuo, 2010. "Pyrolysis pretreatment of biomass for entrained-flow gasification," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 149-155, January.
- Richa Kothari & D. Buddhi & R.L. Sawhney, 2004. "Sources and technology for hydrogen production: a review," International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 21(1/2), pages 154-178.
- Seitarides, Th. & Athanasiou, C. & Zabaniotou, A., 2008. "Modular biomass gasification-based solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC) for sustainable development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 1251-1276, June.
- Wetterlund, Elisabeth & Pettersson, Karin & Harvey, Simon, 2011. "Systems analysis of integrating biomass gasification with pulp and paper production – Effects on economic performance, CO2 emissions and energy use," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 932-941.
- Khundi, Fydess & Jagger, Pamela & Shively, Gerald & Sserunkuuma, Dick, 2011. "Income, poverty and charcoal production in Uganda," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 199-205, March.
- Saxena, R.C. & Seal, Diptendu & Kumar, Satinder & Goyal, H.B., 2008. "Thermo-chemical routes for hydrogen rich gas from biomass: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(7), pages 1909-1927, September.
- N. Panwar & A. Kurchania & N. Rathore, 2009. "Mitigation of greenhouse gases by adoption of improved biomass cookstoves," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 14(6), pages 569-578, August.
- Phillips, V.D. & Kinoshita, C.M. & Neill, D.R. & Takahashi, P.K., 1990. "Thermochemical production of methanol from biomass in Hawaii," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 167-175.
- Dogru, M. & Howarth, C.R. & Akay, G. & Keskinler, B. & Malik, A.A., 2002. "Gasification of hazelnut shells in a downdraft gasifier," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 415-427.
- N. Panwar & N. Rathore, 2009. "Potential of surplus biomass gasifier based power generation: A case study of an Indian state Rajasthan," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 14(8), pages 711-720, December.