Aluminum as energy carrier: Feasibility analysis and current technologies overview
Aluminum is examined as energy storage and carrier. To provide the correct feasibility study the work includes the analysis of aluminum production process: from ore to metal. During this analysis the material and energy balances are considered. Total efficiency of aluminum-based energy storage is evaluated.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Skea, J., 1980. "Electricity supplies for the primary aluminium industry," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 60-70, March.
- Liu, Liru & Aye, Lu & Lu, Zhongwu & Zhang, Peihong, 2006. "Analysis of the overall energy intensity of alumina refinery process using unit process energy intensity and product ratio method," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 1167-1176.
- Fan, Mei–qiang & Sun, Li–xian & Xu, Fen, 2010. "Experiment assessment of hydrogen production from activated aluminum alloys in portable generator for fuel cell applications," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 2922-2926.
- Hadjipaschalis, Ioannis & Poullikkas, Andreas & Efthimiou, Venizelos, 2009. "Overview of current and future energy storage technologies for electric power applications," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1513-1522, August.
- Auner, Norbert & Holl, Sven, 2006. "Silicon as energy carrier—Facts and perspectives," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 1395-1402.
- Liu, Liru & Aye, Lu & Lu, Zhongwu & Zhang, Peihong, 2006. "Effect of material flows on energy intensity in process industries," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 1870-1882.
- Zhou, Li, 2005. "Progress and problems in hydrogen storage methods," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 395-408, August.
- Saidur, R. & Rahim, N.A. & Hasanuzzaman, M., 2010. "A review on compressed-air energy use and energy savings," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 1135-1153, May.
- Bolund, Björn & Bernhoff, Hans & Leijon, Mats, 2007. "Flywheel energy and power storage systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 235-258, February.
- Deane, J.P. & Ó Gallachóir, B.P. & McKeogh, E.J., 2010. "Techno-economic review of existing and new pumped hydro energy storage plant," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 1293-1302, May.
- Aleklett, Kjell & Höök, Mikael & Jakobsson, Kristofer & Lardelli, Michael & Snowden, Simon & Söderbergh, Bengt, 2010. "The Peak of the Oil Age - Analyzing the world oil production Reference Scenario in World Energy Outlook 2008," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1398-1414, March.
- Halmann, M. & Frei, A. & Steinfeld, A., 2007. "Carbothermal reduction of alumina: Thermochemical equilibrium calculations and experimental investigation," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2420-2427.
- Kim, Y.M. & Favrat, D., 2010. "Energy and exergy analysis of a micro-compressed air energy storage and air cycle heating and cooling system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 213-220.
- Hirsch, Robert L., 2008. "Mitigation of maximum world oil production: Shortage scenarios," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 881-889, February.
- Huang, Ke-Long & Li, Xiao-gang & Liu, Su-qin & Tan, Ning & Chen, Li-quan, 2008. "Research progress of vanadium redox flow battery for energy storage in China," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 186-192.
- Hayashi, Daisuke & Krey, Matthias, 2005. "CO2 emission reduction potential of large-scale energy efficiency measures in heavy industry in China, India, Brazil, Indonesia and South Africa," HWWI Research Papers 4-6, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- de Almeida, Pedro & Silva, Pedro D., 2009. "The peak of oil production--Timings and market recognition," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1267-1276, April.
- Yanjia, Wang & Chandler, William, 2010. "The Chinese nonferrous metals industry--energy use and CO2 emissions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6475-6484, November.
- Baker, John, 2008. "New technology and possible advances in energy storage," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4368-4373, December.
- Ibrahim, H. & Ilinca, A. & Perron, J., 2008. "Energy storage systems--Characteristics and comparisons," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 1221-1250, June.
- Hall, Peter J. & Bain, Euan J., 2008. "Energy-storage technologies and electricity generation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4352-4355, December.
- Schwarz, Hans-Günter & Briem, Sebastian & Zapp, Petra, 2001. "Future carbon dioxide emissions in the global material flow of primary aluminium," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 775-795.
- Verbruggen, Aviel & Al Marchohi, Mohamed, 2010. "Views on peak oil and its relation to climate change policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5572-5581, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:15:y:2011:i:9:p:4611-4623. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.