A comprehensive techno-economical review of indirect solar desalination
Solar powered desalination has been the focus of great interest recently worldwide. In the past, majority of the experimental investigations focused on solar coupled thermally driven conventional desalination technologies such as Multi-Stage Flash (MSF) and Multi-Effect Distillation (MED). With the advancement in membrane technology and its advantages such as high Recovery Ratios (RR) and low specific energy requirements Reverse Osmosis (RO) desalination has gained popularity. Currently, 52% of the indirect solar desalination plants are RO based with MED and MSF having a 13% and 9% share respectively. Membrane Distillation (MD) based plants represent 16% of the total and have been a focus of recent research efforts. This paper aims to provide a comprehensive review of all the indirect solar desalination technologies along with plant specific technical details. Efforts assessing the economic feasibility and cost affecting parameters for each desalination technology are also reviewed.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eltawil, Mohamed A. & Zhengming, Zhao & Yuan, Liqiang, 2009. "A review of renewable energy technologies integrated with desalination systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2245-2262, December.
- Alawaji, Saleh & Smiai, Mohammed Salah & Rafique, Shah & Stafford, Byron, 1995. "PV-powered water pumping and desalination plant for remote areas in Saudi Arabia," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 52(2-3), pages 283-289.
- Kosmadakis, G. & Manolakos, D. & Kyritsis, S. & Papadakis, G., 2009. "Economic assessment of a two-stage solar organic Rankine cycle for reverse osmosis desalination," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1579-1586.
- Kaushal, Aayush & Varun, 2010. "Solar stills: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 446-453, January.
- Al-Karaghouli, Ali & Renne, David & Kazmerski, Lawrence L., 2010. "Technical and economic assessment of photovoltaic-driven desalination systems," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 323-328.
- Al Suleimani, Zaher & Nair, V. Rajendran, 2000. "Desalination by solar-powered reverse osmosis in a remote area of the Sultanate of Oman," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 65(1-4), pages 367-380, April.
- Narayan, G. Prakash & Sharqawy, Mostafa H. & Summers, Edward K. & Lienhard, John H. & Zubair, Syed M. & Antar, M.A., 2010. "The potential of solar-driven humidification-dehumidification desalination for small-scale decentralized water production," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 1187-1201, May.
- Harrison, D.G. & Ho, G.E. & Mathew, K., 1996. "Desalination using renewable energy in Australia," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 509-513.
- Richards, Bryce S & Schäfer, Andrea I, 2003. "Photovoltaic-powered desalination system for remote Australian communities," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(13), pages 2013-2022.
- Arjunan, T.V. & Aybar, H.S. & Nedunchezhian, N., 2009. "Status of solar desalination in India," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2408-2418, December.
- Hasnain, S.M. & Alajlan, S., 1998. "Coupling of PV-powered R.O. brackish water desalination plant with solar stills," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 281-286.
- Sampathkumar, K. & Arjunan, T.V. & Pitchandi, P. & Senthilkumar, P., 2010. "Active solar distillation--A detailed review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1503-1526, August.
- Velmurugan, V. & Srithar, K., 2011. "Performance analysis of solar stills based on various factors affecting the productivity--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 1294-1304, February.
- Herold, D. & Horstmann, V. & Neskakis, A. & Plettner-Marliani, J. & Piernavieja, G. & Calero, R., 1998. "Small scale photovoltaic desalination for rural water supply - demonstration plant in Gran Canaria," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 293-298.
- El-Nashar, Ali M. & Samad, M., 1998. "The solar desalination plant in Abu Dhabi: 13 years of performance and operation history," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 263-274.
- Mokhtar, Marwan & Ali, Muhammad Tauha & Bräuniger, Simon & Afshari, Afshin & Sgouridis, Sgouris & Armstrong, Peter & Chiesa, Matteo, 2010. "Systematic comprehensive techno-economic assessment of solar cooling technologies using location-specific climate data," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 3766-3778, December.
- Kabeel, A.E. & Hamed, A.M. & El-Agouz, S.A., 2010. "Cost analysis of different solar still configurations," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 2901-2908.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:15:y:2011:i:8:p:4187-4199. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.