Solar greenhouse an option for renewable and sustainable farming
Greenhouses provide a suitable environment for the intensive production of various crops. They are designed to provide control as well as to maintain solar radiation, temperature, humidity and carbon dioxide levels in the aerial environment. CO2 enrichment decreases the oxygen inhibition of photosynthesis and increases the net photosynthesis in plants. This is the basis for increased growth rates caused by CO2 at low as well as at high light levels. Elevated CO2 concentrations also increase the optimal temperature for growth. The maximum crop response depends on the level of the balanced environmental parameters. Off seasonal cultivation is quite possible in greenhouse and it improves economic conditions of farmers. This paper reviews the available worldwide thermal modeling for heating, cooling and ventilation technologies and experimental studies of agricultural greenhouses.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tavares, C & Gonçalves, A & Castro, P & Loureiro, D & Joyce, A, 2001. "Modelling an agriculture production greenhouse," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 15-20.
- Kürklü, Ahmet & Bilgin, Sefai, 2004. "Cooling of a polyethylene tunnel type greenhouse by means of a rock bed," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(13), pages 2077-2086.
- Singh, R.D. & Tiwari, G.N., 2010. "Energy conservation in the greenhouse system: A steady state analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 2367-2373.
- Mahrer, Y. & Avissar, R., 1984. "A numerical simulation of the greenhouse microclimate," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 218-228.
- Başçetinçelik, A. & öztürk, H.H. & Paksoy, H.Ö. & Demirel, Y., 1999. "Energetic and exergetic efficiency of latent heat storage system for greenhouse heating," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 691-694.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:15:y:2011:i:8:p:3934-3945. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.