Development of real-time product cost measurement: A case study in a medium-sized manufacturing company
Data availability and the need for updating are important considerations when designing product costing systems. This paper describes the development of a costing system in a medium sized company to better understand these issues. The company wanted to be able to assess profitability of products on a more comprehensive basis than the contribution margins of products, which included merely the direct material costs. The resulting system uses practical capacity to compute rates and is based on a hybrid of machining and labor times. The most innovative aspect is the use of real-time data on machine times in manufacturing, in the context of a large number and frequently changing products. The study also helps to better understand the limitations of time-driven activity-based costing (TDABC), and it highlights the role of “data discovery” for the design of costing systems.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 183 (2017)
Issue (Month): PA ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Askarany, Davood & Yazdifar, Hassan & Askary, Saeed, 2010. "Supply chain management, activity-based costing and organisational factors," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 238-248, October.
- Tatsiopoulos, I. P. & Panayiotou, N., 2000. "The integration of activity based costing and enterprise modeling for reengineering purposes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 33-44, June.
- repec:sen:rebelj:v:58:i:1:y:2013:p:31 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schulze, Manuel & Seuring, Stefan & Ewering, Christian, 2012. "Applying activity-based costing in a supply chain environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 716-725.
- Kilfoyle, Eksa & Richardson, Alan J. & MacDonald, Laura D., 2013. "Vernacular accountings: Bridging the cognitive and the social in the analysis of employee-generated accounting systems," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 382-396.
- Ratnatunga, Janek & Tse, Michael S.C. & Balachandran, Kashi R., 2012. "Cost Management in Sri Lanka: A Case Study on Volume, Activity and Time as Cost Drivers," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 281-301.
- S. Hoozee & W. Bruggeman, 2010. "Identifying operational improvements during the design process of a time-driven ABC system: The role of collective worker participation and leadership style," Post-Print hal-00679954, HAL.
- Michel Gervais & Yves Levant & Charles Ducrocq, 2010. "Time-Driven Activity-Based Costing (TDABC): An Initial Appraisal through a Longitudinal Case Study," Post-Print halshs-00555218, HAL.
- L. Siguenza-guzman & A. Van Den Abbeele & J. Vandewalle & H. Verhaaren & D. Cattrysse, 2013. "Recent Evolutions in Costing Systems: A Literature Review of Time-Driven Activity-Based Costing," Review of Business and Economic Literature, Intersentia, vol. 58(1), pages 34-65, March.
- Kelle, Peter & Akbulut, Asli, 2005. "The role of ERP tools in supply chain information sharing, cooperation, and cost optimization," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 41-52, January.
- Thyssen, Jesper & Israelsen, Poul & Jorgensen, Brian, 2006. "Activity-based costing as a method for assessing the economics of modularization--A case study and beyond," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 252-270, September.
- Li, Gang & Yang, Hongjiao & Sun, Linyan & Sohal, Amrik S., 2009. "The impact of IT implementation on supply chain integration and performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 125-138, July.
- Qian, Li & Ben-Arieh, David, 2008. "Parametric cost estimation based on activity-based costing: A case study for design and development of rotational parts," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 805-818, June.
- Askarany, Davood & Yazdifar, Hassan, 2012. "An investigation into the mixed reported adoption rates for ABC: Evidence from Australia, New Zealand and the UK," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 430-439.
- Demeere, Nathalie & Stouthuysen, Kristof & Roodhooft, Filip, 2009. "Time-driven activity-based costing in an outpatient clinic environment: Development, relevance and managerial impact," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 92(2-3), pages 296-304, October.
- Gylling, Michael & Heikkilä, Jussi & Jussila, Kari & Saarinen, Markku, 2015. "Making decisions on offshore outsourcing and backshoring: A case study in the bicycle industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 162(C), pages 92-100.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:183:y:2017:i:pa:p:235-244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.