Resale price maintenance for supply chains distributing products with demand uncertainty
This paper explores the economic roles of resale price maintenance (RPM) in supply chains for a specific product, when consumers have taste heterogeneity and the manufacturer faces demand uncertainty. Two transaction schemes within supply chains are compared: (1) RPM, and (2) decentralized pricing in a competitive market environment. With decentralized pricing, a manufacturer loses the incentive to produce a product in categories where the probability that the manufacturer fails to design the product as suitable to public tastes of consumers is high. However, RPM resolves the problem and induces the manufacturer to supply the good, bringing positive surplus to consumers.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bolton, Patrick & Bonanno, Giacomo, 1988. "Vertical Restraints in a Model of Vertical Differentiation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(3), pages 555-70, August.
- William Comanor & Patrick Rey, 1997. "Competition Policy towards Vertical Restraints in Europe and the United States," Empirica, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 37-52, January.
- Perry, Martin K & Groff, Robert H, 1985. "Resale Price Maintenance and Forward Integration into a Monopolistically Competitive Industry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1293-1311, November.
- Howard P. Marvel & Stephen McCafferty, 1984. "Resale Price Maintenance and Quality Certification," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(3), pages 346-359, Autumn.
- Klein, Benjamin & Murphy, Kevin M, 1988. "Vertical Restraints as Contract Enforcement Mechanisms," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(2), pages 265-97, October.
- Marvel, Howard P & McCafferty, Stephen, 1985. "The Welfare Effects of Resale Price Maintenance," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(2), pages 363-79, May.
- Harish Krishnan & Ralph A. Winter, 2007. "Vertical Control of Price and Inventory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(5), pages 1840-1857, December.
- Flath, David, 1989. "Vertical restraints in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 187-203, March.
- G.F. Mathewson & R.A. Winter, 1984. "An Economic Theory of Vertical Restraints," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(1), pages 27-38, Spring.
- Kenn Ariga, 1995. "Economics of Japan's Retail Stores," Japanese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 23(1), pages 66-96, January.
- Miao-Ling Chen & Guan-Ru Chen, 2007. "The effects of advertising on resale price maintenance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(4), pages 453-459.
- Howard P. Marvel & Raymond Deneckere & James Peck, 1995.
"Demand Uncertainty, Inventories, and Resale Price Maintainance,"
019, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Deneckere, Raymond & Marvel, Howard P & Peck, James, 1996. "Demand Uncertainty, Inventories, and Resale Price Maintenance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 885-913, August.
- J. Isaac Brannon, 2003. "The effects of resale price maintenance laws on petrol prices and station attrition: empirical evidence from Wisconsin," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 343-349.
- Severin Borenstein, 1991. "Selling Costs and Switching Costs: Explaining Retail Gasoline Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(3), pages 354-369, Autumn.
- Winter, Ralph A, 1993. "Vertical Control and Price versus Nonprice Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(1), pages 61-76, February.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Yongmin Chen, 1999. "Oligopoly Price Discrimination and Resale Price Maintenance," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 441-455, Autumn.
- Frank Mathewson & Ralph Winter, 1998. "The Law and Economics of Resale Price Maintenance," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 57-84, April.
- D Flath & T Nariu*, 2000. "Demand Uncertainty And Resale Price Maintenance," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(4), pages 397-403, October.
- Kenji Matsui, 2010. "Effects of wholesaler concentration on retailers by format: evidence from Japanese brand-level price data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(18), pages 2379-2391.
- Norbert Schulz, 2007. "Does the Service Argument Justify Resale Price Maintenance?," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 163(2), pages 236-255, June.
- Perry, Martin K. & Porter, Robert H., 1990. "Can resale price maintenance and franchise fees correct sub-optimal levels of retail service?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 115-141.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:134:y:2011:i:2:p:375-387. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.