Productivity and efficiency with discrete variables and quadratic cost function
We propose an index of productivity based on a quadratic cost function and developed for discrete data including technical and allocative inefficiency, jointly with technical change and returns to scale, as determinants of Total Factor Productivity. This new index is applied to Spanish stevedoring industry so as to identify the sources of change in the productivity of a multiproductive activity, where some companies do not produce some of the outputs. In this context, the functional quadratic form and the productivity index proposed prove particularly useful.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Martínez-Budría & S. Jara-Díaz & F. Ramos-Real, 2003. "Adapting Productivity Theory to the Quadratic Cost Function. An Application to the Spanish Electric Sector," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 213-229, September.
- Atkinson, Scott E & Cornwell, Christopher, 1994. "Parametric Estimation of Technical and Allocative Inefficiency with Panel Data," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(1), pages 231-243, February.
- Rodriguez-Alvarez, Ana & Tovar, Beatriz & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2007. "Firm and time varying technical and allocative efficiency: An application to port cargo handling firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1-2), pages 149-161, September.
- Hannula, Mika, 2002. "Total productivity measurement based on partial productivity ratios," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 57-67, July.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Chen, Yao, 2003. "A non-radial Malmquist productivity index with an illustrative application to Chinese major industries," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Diewert, W Erwin, 1978. "Superlative Index Numbers and Consistency in Aggregation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 883-900, July.
- Tsekouras, Kostas D. & Pantzios, Christos J. & Karagiannis, Giannis, 2004. "Malmquist productivity index estimation with zero-value variables: The case of Greek prefectural training councils," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 95-106, May.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1988. "Quasi-Fixed Inputs in U.S. and Japanese Manufacturing: A Generalized Leontief Restricted Cost Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 275-287, May.
- Murillo-Zamorano, Luis R. & Vega-Cervera, Juan A., 2001. "The use of parametric and non-parametric frontier methods to measure the productive efficiency in the industrial sector: A comparative study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 265-275, February.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Kontolaimou, Alexandra & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2010. "Are cooperatives the weakest link in European banking? A non-parametric metafrontier approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1946-1957, August.
- Sergio Jara-Diaz & Beatriz Tovar & Lourdes Trujillo, 2008. "On the proper modelling of multioutput port cargo handling costs," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(13), pages 1699-1705.
- Juan Díaz-Hernández & Eduardo Martínez-Budría & Sergio Jara-Diaz, 2008. "Parametric estimation of inefficiency in cargo handling in Spanish ports," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 223-232, December.
- Atkinson, Scott E & Cornwell, Christopher, 1994. "Estimation of Output and Input Technical Efficiency Using a Flexible Form and Panel Data," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(1), pages 245-255, February.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1997. "Modeling allocative inefficiency in a translog cost function and cost share equations: An exact relationship," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 351-356.
- George E. Battese, 1997. "A Note On The Estimation Of Cobb-Douglas Production Functions When Some Explanatory Variables Have Zero Values," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 250-252.
- Kounetas, Konstantinos & Mourtos, Ioannis & Tsekouras, Konstantinos, 2009. "Efficiency decompositions for heterogeneous technologies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(1), pages 209-218, November.