Inventory investment and production in Europe during the "Great Recession": Is there a pattern?
The paper examines the nexus between inventory investment and the change in aggregate production during the "Great Recession" of 2008/09 for 29 European countries. A fairly uniform pattern emerges. Inventory investment is positively correlated with changes in production and follows the latter with a time-lag of two to three quarters. Very few countries (Austria, Greece, Spain and Switzerland) diverge from the typical pattern. This might hint to problems with respect to data quality.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dimelis, Sophia P., 2001. "Inventory investment over the business cycle in the EU and the US," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 1-8, May.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2009.
"Trying to assess the quality of macroeconomic data: The case of Swiss labour productivity growth as an example,"
OECD Journal: Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis,
OECD Publishing, Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2008(1), pages 37-61.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2007. "Trying to Assess the Quality of Macroeconomic Data – the Case of Swiss Labour Productivity Growth as an Example," KOF Working papers 07-173, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Andreas Hornstein, 1998. "Inventory investment and the business cycle," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 49-71.
- Yngve Abrahamsen & Jochen Hartwig, 2011. "Inventory investment and production in Europe: Is there a pattern?," KOF Working papers 11-271, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Wen, Yi, 2002.
"Understanding the Inventory Cycle,"
02-04, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Chikan, Attila & Tatrai, Tunde, 2003. "Developments in global inventory investment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 13-26, January.
- Fabio Bagliano & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2004. "The cyclical behaviour of inventories: European cross-country evidence from the early 1990s recession," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(18), pages 2031-2044.
- Alan S. Blinder & Louis J. Maccini, 1991. "Taking Stock: A Critical Assessment of Recent Research on Inventories," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 73-96, Winter.
- Brown, Ward & Haegler, Urs, 2004. "Financing constraints and inventories," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(5), pages 1091-1123, October.
- Robert E. Carpenter & Steven M. Fazzari & Bruce C. Petersen, 1998. "Financing Constraints And Inventory Investment: A Comparative Study With High-Frequency Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 513-519, November.
- Christodoulakis, Nicos & Dimelis, Sophia P & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1995. "Comparisons of Business Cycles in the EC: Idiosyncracies and Regularities," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(245), pages 1-27, February.
- Chikán, Attila & Kovács, Erzsébet, 2009. "Inventory investment and GDP characteristics in OECD countries," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 2-9, March.
- Chikan, Attila & Kovacs, Erzsebet & Tatrai, Tunde, 2005. "Macroeconomic characteristics and inventory investment: a multi-country study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Wilkinson, Maurice, 1989. "Aggregate inventory behavior in large European economies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 181-194, January.
- Guariglia, Alessandra, 1999. "The Effects of Financial Constraints on Inventory Investment: Evidence from a Panel of UK Firms," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(261), pages 43-62, February.
- Guariglia, Alessandra & Mateut, Simona, 2010.
"Inventory investment, global engagement, and financial constraints in the UK: Evidence from micro data,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 239-250, March.
- Simona Mateut & Alessandra Guariglia, "undated". "Inventory Investment, Global Engagement, and Financial Constraints in the UK: Evidence from Micro Data," Discussion Papers 09/09, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:132:y:2011:i:2:p:174-177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.