Inventory investment and production in Europe during the "Great Recession": Is there a pattern?
The paper examines the nexus between inventory investment and the change in aggregate production during the "Great Recession" of 2008/09 for 29 European countries. A fairly uniform pattern emerges. Inventory investment is positively correlated with changes in production and follows the latter with a time-lag of two to three quarters. Very few countries (Austria, Greece, Spain and Switzerland) diverge from the typical pattern. This might hint to problems with respect to data quality.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wen, Yi, 2005.
"Understanding the inventory cycle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 1533-1555, November.
- Robert E. Carpenter & Steven M. Fazzari & Bruce C. Petersen, 1998. "Financing Constraints And Inventory Investment: A Comparative Study With High-Frequency Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 513-519, November.
- Christodoulakis, Nicos & Dimelis, Sophia P & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1995. "Comparisons of Business Cycles in the EC: Idiosyncracies and Regularities," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(245), pages 1-27, February.
- Simona Mateut & Alessandra Guariglia, .
"Inventory Investment, Global Engagement, and Financial Constraints in the UK: Evidence from Micro Data,"
09/09, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Guariglia, Alessandra & Mateut, Simona, 2010. "Inventory investment, global engagement, and financial constraints in the UK: Evidence from micro data," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 239-250, March.
- Yngve Abrahamsen & Jochen Hartwig, 2011. "Inventory investment and production in Europe: Is there a pattern?," KOF Working papers 11-271, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Dimelis, Sophia P., 2001. "Inventory investment over the business cycle in the EU and the US," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 1-8, May.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2007.
"Trying to Assess the Quality of Macroeconomic Data – the Case of Swiss Labour Productivity Growth as an Example,"
KOF Working papers
07-173, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2008. "Trying to assess the quality of macroeconomic data: The case of Swiss labour productivity growth as an example," OECD Journal: Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing,Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2008(1), pages 37-61.
- Fabio Bagliano & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2004. "The cyclical behaviour of inventories: European cross-country evidence from the early 1990s recession," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(18), pages 2031-2044.
- Chikan, Attila & Tatrai, Tunde, 2003. "Developments in global inventory investment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 13-26, January.
- Wilkinson, Maurice, 1989. "Aggregate inventory behavior in large European economies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 181-194, January.
- Guariglia, Alessandra, 1999. "The Effects of Financial Constraints on Inventory Investment: Evidence from a Panel of UK Firms," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(261), pages 43-62, February.
- Andreas Hornstein, 1998. "Inventory investment and the business cycle," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 49-71.
- Chikan, Attila & Kovacs, Erzsebet & Tatrai, Tunde, 2005. "Macroeconomic characteristics and inventory investment: a multi-country study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Alan S. Blinder & Louis J. Maccini, 1991. "Taking Stock: A Critical Assessment of Recent Research on Inventories," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 73-96, Winter.
- Brown, Ward & Haegler, Urs, 2004. "Financing constraints and inventories," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(5), pages 1091-1123, October.
- Chikán, Attila & Kovács, Erzsébet, 2009. "Inventory investment and GDP characteristics in OECD countries," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 2-9, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:132:y:2011:i:2:p:174-177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.