Market flexible customizing system (MFCS) of Japanese vehicle manufacturers: An analysis of Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi
Many studies on Japanese manufacturing practices have rarely compared how different Japanese vehicle manufacturers implement market flexible customizing system (MFCS). The aim of this study is to compare collaborative practices of Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi in terms of how they integrate changing market demand information into their production plans. From 2001 to 2008 a research team has engaged in-depth interviews of eleven executives from Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi and five executives from their suppliers. Such longitudinal approach was to examine the evolving sets of management philosophies and manufacturing practices. The results of this study suggest a few interesting findings. First, as an improvement of flexible manufacturing systems (FMS) in 1980s, Japanese vehicle manufacturers have been adopting MFCS which integrates long-term market-driven production planning with short-term customer-specified order demands. Second, Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi combine make-to-plan (MTP) with make-to-order (MTO) and implement incentive practices for their suppliers and manage inventory risks. Third, Toyota implements a few days shorter market responsive production practices than Nissan and Mitsubishi. This difference in "a few days" characterizes Toyota's organizational capabilities in the form of highly flexible customizing system. This study suggests that three Japanese vehicle manufacturers (Toyota, Nissan, and Mitsubishi) continue to implement MFCS as a way of securing their competitive advantages around the world.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miyazaki, Shigeji, 1996. "An analytical comparison of inventory costs between the pull and the parts-oriented production systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 151-157, June.
- Araz, Ceyhun & Ozkarahan, Irem, 2007. "Supplier evaluation and management system for strategic sourcing based on a new multicriteria sorting procedure," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 585-606, April.
- Tseng, Mei-Chiun, 2004. "Strategic choice of flexible manufacturing technologies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 223-227, October.
- Demeter, Krisztina & Gelei, Andrea & Jenei, Istvan, 2006. "The effect of strategy on supply chain configuration and management practices on the basis of two supply chains in the Hungarian automotive industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 555-570, December.
- Lars Lundqvist & Kenneth Button & Peter Nijkamp (ed.), 2003. "The Automobile," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2516.
- Gunasekaran, Angappa & Lai, Kee-hung & Edwin Cheng, T.C., 2008. "Responsive supply chain: A competitive strategy in a networked economy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 549-564, August.
- Wahab, M.I.M. & Stoyan, S.J., 2008. "A dynamic approach to measure machine and routing flexibilities of manufacturing systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 895-913, June.
- Karsak, E. Ertugrul & Kuzgunkaya, Onur, 2002. "A fuzzy multiple objective programming approach for the selection of a flexible manufacturing system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 101-111, September.
- Llorens, F. Javier & Molina, Luis M. & Verdu, Antonio J., 2005. "Flexibility of manufacturing systems, strategic change and performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 273-289, December.
- Chiang, Tzu-An & Trappey, Amy J.C., 2007. "Development of value chain collaborative model for product lifecycle management and its LCD industry adoption," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1-2), pages 90-104, September.
- Handfield, Robert B. & Pagell, Mark D., 1995. "An analysis of the diffusion of flexible manufacturing systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 243-253, May.
- Li, Xiuhui & Wang, Qinan, 2007. "Coordination mechanisms of supply chain systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(1), pages 1-16, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:118:y:2009:i:2:p:375-386. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.