Socially responsible investment in Japanese pensions
As the level of retirement-related assets has grown, so too has public and private interest in so-called "Socially Responsible Investment" (SRI), an investment strategy that employs criteria other than the usual financial risk and return factors when selecting firms in which to invest. This study evaluates whether SRI indexes would alter portfolio risk and return patterns for the new defined contribution pension plans currently on offer in Japan. We conclude that SRI funds can be included as an option, albeit with some cost; consequently, mandatory investment in SRI portfolios cannot reasonably be justified.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauer, Rob & Otten, Roger & Rad, Alireza Tourani, 2006. "Ethical investing in Australia: Is there a financial penalty?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 33-48, January.
- Hiraki, Takato & Inoue, Hideaki & Ito, Akitoshi & Kuroki, Fumiaki & Masuda, Hiroyuki, 2003. "Corporate governance and firm value in Japan: Evidence from 1985 to 1998," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 239-265, July.
- Kiyohiko G. Nishimura & Makoto Saito, 2003. "On Alternatives to Aggressive Demand Policies to Revitalize the Japanese Economy," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 2(3), pages 87-126.
- Bauer, Rob & Koedijk, Kees & Otten, Roger, 2005. "International evidence on ethical mutual fund performance and investment style," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1751-1767, July.
- Alan Gregory & John Matatko & Robert Luther, 1997. "Ethical Unit Trust Financial Performance: Small Company Effects and Fund Size Effects," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 705-725.
- Kato, Hideaki Kiyoshi & Loewenstein, Uri & Tsay, Wenyuh, 2002. "Dividend policy, cash flow, and investment in Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 443-473, September.
- Aris Solomon & Jill Solomon & Megumi Suto, 2004. "Can the UK Experience Provide Lessons for the Evolution of SRI in Japan?," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 552-566, October.
- Chami, Ralph & Cosimano, Thomas F. & Fullenkamp, Connel, 2002. "Managing ethical risk: How investing in ethics adds value," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(9), pages 1697-1718, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pacfin:v:14:y:2006:i:5:p:427-438. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.