What is the relationship between investor protection legislation and target takeover returns? Evidence from Europe
We show that investor protection legislation is an important determinant of the returns of target companies that are subject to takeovers within Europe. Announcement and post-announcement returns are higher in strong investor protection countries, which indicates that bidders are forced to offer larger premiums when the original offer is made, and are more likely to have to revise their offer higher before a takeover is successful. This is consistent with targets having relatively greater bargaining power in strong investor protection environments. Our findings are robust to the inclusion of common determinants of takeover returns.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Law and Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997.
"Legal Determinants of External Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
5879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1788, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- RAFAEL LaPORTA & FLORENCIO LOPEZ-de-SILANES & ANDREI SHLEIFER & ROBERT W. VISHNY, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance,"," CRSP working papers 324, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Working Paper 19443, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rossi, Stefano & Volpin, Paolo, 2003.
"Cross-Country Determinants of Mergers and Acquisitions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rossi, Stefano & Volpin, Paolo F., 2004. "Cross-country determinants of mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 277-304, November.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2002.
"Shareholder Wealth Effects of European Domestic and Cross-Border Takeover Bids,"
2002-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Marc Goergen & Luc Renneboog, 2004. "Shareholder Wealth Effects of European Domestic and Cross-border Takeover Bids," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 10(1), pages 9-45.
- Edward Glaeser & Simon Johnson & Andrei Shleifer, 2001. "Coase Versus the Coasians," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 116(3), pages 853-899.
- Jarrell, Gregg A & Bradley, Michael, 1980. "The Economic Effects of Federal and State Regulations of Cash Tender Offers," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(2), pages 371-407, October.
- Arturo Bris & Christos Cabolis, 2008.
"The Value of Investor Protection: Firm Evidence from Cross-Border Mergers,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(2), pages 605-648, April.
- Arturo Bris & Christos Cabolis, 2005. "The Value of Investor Protection: Firm Evidence from Cross-Border Mergers," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2455, Yale School of Management.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1999.
"Investor Protection and Corporate Valuation,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1882, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Hagendorff, Jens & Collins, Michael & Keasey, Kevin, 2008. "Investor protection and the value effects of bank merger announcements in Europe and the US," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1333-1348, July.
- Moeller, Sara B. & Schlingemann, Frederik P., 2005. "Global diversification and bidder gains: A comparison between cross-border and domestic acquisitions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 533-564, March.
- Gerald T. Garvey & Gordon Hanka, 1999. "Capital Structure and Corporate Control: The Effect of Antitakeover Statutes on Firm Leverage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 519-546, 04.
- Jo Danbolt, 2004. "Target Company Cross-border Effects in Acquisitions into the UK," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 10(1), pages 83-108.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mulfin:v:19:y:2009:i:4:p:291-305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.