One or two monies?
The set of incentive-feasible allocations is examined in a dynamic quasi-linear environment where agents lack commitment and have private information over their idiosyncratic characteristics. When record-keeping is available, the first-best allocation is implementable in a set of sufficiently patient economies. When record-keeping is limited to one money, this set is strictly smaller--except when private information is absent. When record-keeping is expanded, but limited to two monies, the set of economies for which the first-best is implementable corresponds to that of record-keeping, even when private information is present. We further demonstrate that two monies are a perfect substitute for record-keeping.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Craig, Ben & Waller, C.J.Christopher J., 2004. "Dollarization and currency exchange," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 671-689, May.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R., 1998.
"Money Is Memory,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 232-251, August.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Matsui, Akihiko, 1993.
"Toward a Theory of International Currency,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(2), pages 283-307, April.
- Gabriele Camera & Ben Craig & Christopher J. Waller, 2003.
"Currency competition in a fundamental model of money,"
0311, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Camera, Gabriele & Craig, Ben & Waller, Christopher J., 2004. "Currency competition in a fundamental model of money," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 521-544, December.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2002.
"A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis,"
0211, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2005. "A Unified Framework for Monetary Theory and Policy Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 463-484, June.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2004. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Staff Report 346, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Christopher J. Waller, 2009.
"Dynamic taxation, private information and money,"
2009-035, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Joseph M. Ostroy, 1972.
"The Informational Efficiency of Monetary Exchange,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
021, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Trejos, Alberto & Wright, Randall, 1995. "Search, Bargaining, Money, and Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 118-41, February.
- Camera, Gabriele & Winkler, Johannes, 2003. "International monetary trade and the law of one price," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1531-1553, October.
- Wright Randall & Trejos Alberto, 2001. "International Currency," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-17, April.
- Narayana Kocherlakota & Thomas Krueger, 1999. "A Signaling Model of Multiple Currencies," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 231-244, January.
- anonymous, 1998. "Technological role of fiat money," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum.
- David Andolfatto, 2011. "The simple analytics of money and credit in a quasi-linear environment," Working Papers 2011-038, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Townsend, Robert M, 1987. "Economic Organization with Limited Communication," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 954-71, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:moneco:v:57:y:2010:i:4:p:439-450. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.