Gradient dynamics in population games: Some basic results
When each player in a population game continuously adjusts her action to move up the payoff gradient, then the state variable (the action distribution) obeys a nonlinear partial differential equation. We find conditions that render gradient adjustment myopically optimal and analyze two broad classes of population games. For one class, we use known results to establish the existence and uniqueness of solutions to the PDE. In some cases, these solutions exhibit shock waves or rarefaction waves. For a second class, we use a local form of Nash equilibrium to characterize the steady state solutions of the PDE and find sufficient conditions for asymptotic convergence.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akihiko Matsui & Kiminori Matsuyama, 1991.
"An Approach to Equilibrium Selection,"
1065, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Friedman, Daniel & Ostrov, Daniel N., 2008. "Conspicuous consumption dynamics," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 121-145, September.
- Oechssler, Jörg & Riedel, Frank, 2000.
"On the dynamic foundation of evolutionary stability in continuous models,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2000,73, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Oechssler, Jorg & Riedel, Frank, 2002. "On the Dynamic Foundation of Evolutionary Stability in Continuous Models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 223-252, December.
- Jörg Oechssler & Frank Riedel, 2000. "On the Dynamic Foundation of Evolutionary Stability in Continuous Models," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse7_2000, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Joerg Oechssler & Frank Riedel, 2000. "On the Dynamic Foundation of Evolutionary Stability in Continuous Models," Game Theory and Information 0004004, EconWPA.
- Josef Hofbauer & Joerg Oechssler & Frank Riedel, 2005.
"Brown-von Neumann-Nash Dynamics: The Continuous Strategy Case,"
Game Theory and Information
- Hofbauer, Josef & Oechssler, Jörg & Riedel, Frank, 2009. "Brown-von Neumann-Nash dynamics: The continuous strategy case," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 406-429, March.
- Josef Hofbauer & Jörg Oechssler & Frank Riedel, 2005. "Brown-von Neumann-Nash Dynamics: The Continuous Strategy Case," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse38_2005, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Hofbauer, Josef & Oechssler, Jörg & Riedel, Frank, 2005. "Brown-von Neumann-Nash Dynamics: The Continuous Strategy Case," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 05-41, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Hofbauer, Josef & Oechssler, Jörg & Riedel, Frank, 2005. "Brown-von Neumann-Nash dynamics : the continuous strategy case," Papers 05-41, Sonderforschungsbreich 504.
- Josef Hofbauer & Jörg Oechssler, 2005. "Brown-von Neumann-Nash Dynamics: The Continuous Strategy Case," Working Papers 0424, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2005.
- Veblen, Thorstein, 1899. "The Theory of the Leisure Class," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number veblen1899.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990.
"Nash equilibrium with strategic complementarities,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 305-321.
- Monderer, Dov & Shapley, Lloyd S., 1996. "Potential Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 124-143, May.
- Sergiu Hart & Andreu Mas-Colell, 2001.
"Regret-Based Continuous-Time Dynamics,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp309, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, revised Apr 2003.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1991. " Measuring the Information Content of Stock Trades," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 179-207, March.
- Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1982. "Price Dynamics Based on the Adjustment of Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1088-1096, December.
- Simon P. Anderson & Jacob K. Goeree & Charles A. Holt, 2004. "Noisy Directional Learning and the Logit Equilibrium," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 106(3), pages 581-602, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:46:y:2010:i:5:p:691-707. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.