Supply side substitutability and potential market power of airports: Case of Amsterdam Schiphol
This study evaluates the issue of market power of Amsterdam airport Schiphol, focusing on the substitutability between this airport and nearby gateways. We focus separately on substitutability with respect to origin-and-destination passengers, and transfer passengers. These two types of passengers represent different markets in terms of both geographical boundaries and competing airports. Analysis of Official Airline Guide data, along with the information obtained during the interviews with stakeholders, clearly demonstrate that Schiphol has a potential to exercise its market power on both markets we identified.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Joseph Clougherty & Juergen Mueller & Anming Zhang, 2012.
"Regulation, privatization, and airport charges: panel data evidence from European airports,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 73-94, August.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Clougherty, Joseph A. & Mueller, Juergen & Zhang, Anming, 2011. "Regulation, Privatization, and Airport Charges: Panel Data Evidence from European Airports," CEPR Discussion Papers 8618, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hangjun Yang & Anming Zhang, 2011. "Price-cap regulation of congested airports," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 293-312, June.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Airport Congestion When Carriers Have Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1357-1375, December.
- Leonardo J. Basso & Anming Zhang, 2008. "Sequential peak-load pricing: the case of airports and airlines," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(3), pages 1087-1119, August.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Yu, Chunyan, 2004. "Measuring airports' operating efficiency: a summary of the 2003 ATRS global airport benchmarking report," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 515-532, November.
- Achim Czerny, 2006. "Price-cap Regulation of Airports: Single-till Versus Dual-till," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 85-97, 07.
- Van Dender, Kurt, 2007. "Determinants of fares and operating revenues at US airports," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 317-336, September.
- Perelman, Sergio & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2010. "Measuring the technical efficiency of airports in Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5339, The World Bank.
- David Starkie, 2008. "The Airport Industry in a Competitive Environment: A United Kingdom Perspective," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2008/15, OECD Publishing. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:juipol:v:23:y:2012:i:c:p:5-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.