The robustness of Okun's law in Spain, 1980-2004: Regional evidence
The purpose of this paper is to analyse Okun's law for the Spanish regions over the period 1980-2004. Based on its "gap" specification, the results show that an inverse relationship between unemployment and output holds for most of the regions and for the whole country. However, the quantitative values of Okun's coefficients are quite different, a result that is partially explained by regional disparities in productivity growth. These differences imply that, when it comes to policy issues, conventional aggregate demand/supply management policies should be combined with region-specific policies.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & Diaz-Roldan, Carmen & Esteve, Vicente, 2007.
"Change of regime and Phillips curve stability: The case of Spain, 1964-2002,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 453-462.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Mª Carmen Díaz Roldán & Vicente Esteve, 2004. "Change of regime and Phillips curve stability:The case of Spain, 1964-2002," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/52, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:6:y:2000:i:3:p:557-570 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mauro, Luciano, 2004. "The macroeconomics of Italy: a regional perspective," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(8-9), pages 927-944, December.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1984. "Unemployment and Potential Output in the 1980s," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 15(2), pages 537-568.
- Dreger, Christian & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2007. "A macroeconometric model for the Euro economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-13.
- Dreger, Christian, 2003. "A macroeconometric model for the Euro economy," IWH Discussion Papers 181, Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH).
- Kwami Adanu, 2005. "A cross-province comparison of Okun's coefficient for Canada," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(5), pages 561-570.
- Donald Freeman, 2000. "Regional tests of Okun's law," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 6(3), pages 557-570, August.
- Prachowny, Martin F J, 1993. "Okun's Law: Theoretical Foundations and Revised Estimates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 331-336, May.
- Dimitris Christopoulos, 2004. "The relationship between output and unemployment: Evidence from Greek regions," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 83(3), pages 611-620, July.
- Dimitris Christopoulos, 2004. "The relationship between output and unemployment: Evidence from Greek regions," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 83(3), pages 611-620, July.
- Moosa, Imad A., 1997. "A Cross-Country Comparison of Okun's Coefficient," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 335-356, June.
- Brian Silverstone & Richard Harris, 2001. "Testing for asymmetry in Okun's law: A cross-country comparison," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(2), pages 1-13.
- Maza, Adolfo & Villaverde, Jose, 2007. "A state-space approach to the analysis of economic shocks in Spain," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 55-63. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:31:y:2009:i:2:p:289-297. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.