Restricted forecasts and economic target monitoring: An application to the Spanish Consumer Price Index
he purpose of this paper is efficiently to incorporate into a univariate ARIMA model the information contained in alternative forecasts obtained through an expert opinion, an econometric model, or a set target. This kind of non-sample additional information can be drawn from any set of linear constraints on the future course of the series. The introduction of uncertainty about these constraints is permitted. The problem is solved obtaining the "restricted forecast" by employing the logic of Theil's mixed-estimation technique. Formulas for calculating the variance of the restricted forecasts and some inferential procedures are derived from it. The usefulness of the approach in practical situations of forecasting and planning is illustrated by an example based on CPI target monitoring, a very relevant topic in countries pursuing inflation targets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1986.
"Forecasting and conditional projection using realistic prior distribution,"
93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1983. "Forecasting and Conditional Projection Using Realistic Prior Distributions," NBER Working Papers 1202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Trabelsi, Abdelwahed & Hillmer, Steven C, 1989. "A Benchmarking Approach to Forecast Combination," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 353-62, July.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1982. "Policy Analysis with Econometric Models," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 13(1), pages 107-164.
- Clemen, Robert T., 1989. "Combining forecasts: A review and annotated bibliography," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 559-583.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:19:y:1997:i:3:p:333-349. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.