Restricted forecasts and economic target monitoring: An application to the Spanish Consumer Price Index
he purpose of this paper is efficiently to incorporate into a univariate ARIMA model the information contained in alternative forecasts obtained through an expert opinion, an econometric model, or a set target. This kind of non-sample additional information can be drawn from any set of linear constraints on the future course of the series. The introduction of uncertainty about these constraints is permitted. The problem is solved obtaining the "restricted forecast" by employing the logic of Theil's mixed-estimation technique. Formulas for calculating the variance of the restricted forecasts and some inferential procedures are derived from it. The usefulness of the approach in practical situations of forecasting and planning is illustrated by an example based on CPI target monitoring, a very relevant topic in countries pursuing inflation targets.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clemen, Robert T., 1989. "Combining forecasts: A review and annotated bibliography," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 559-583.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1986.
"Forecasting and conditional projection using realistic prior distribution,"
93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1983. "Forecasting and Conditional Projection Using Realistic Prior Distributions," NBER Working Papers 1202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1982. "Policy Analysis with Econometric Models," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 13(1), pages 107-164.
- Trabelsi, Abdelwahed & Hillmer, Steven C, 1989. "A Benchmarking Approach to Forecast Combination," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 353-62, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:19:y:1997:i:3:p:333-349. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.