Portfolio rebalancing with an investment horizon and transaction costs
In this paper we consider the problem of rebalancing an existing financial portfolio, where transaction costs have to be paid if we change the amount held of any asset. These transaction costs can be fixed (so paid irrespective of the amount traded provided a trade occurs) and/or variable (related to the amount traded). We indicate the importance of the investment horizon when rebalancing such a portfolio and illustrate the nature of the efficient frontier that results when we have transaction costs. We model the problem as a mixed-integer quadratic programme with an explicit constraint on the amount that can be paid in transaction cost. Our model incorporates the interplay between optimal portfolio allocation, transaction costs and investment horizon. We indicate how to extend our model to include cardinality constraints and present a number of enhancements to the model to improve computational performance. Results are presented for the solution of publicly available test problems involving up to 1317 assets.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nitin R. Patel & Marti G. Subrahmanyam, 1982. "A Simple Algorithm for Optimal Portfolio Selection with Fixed Transaction Costs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(3), pages 303-314, March.
- Fang, Yong & Lai, K.K. & Wang, Shou-Yang, 2006. "Portfolio rebalancing model with transaction costs based on fuzzy decision theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(2), pages 879-893, December.
- Yu, Jing-Rung & Lee, Wen-Yi, 2011. "Portfolio rebalancing model using multiple criteria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 209(2), pages 166-175, March.
- Zhang, Wei-Guo & Zhang, Xili & Chen, Yunxia, 2011. "Portfolio adjusting optimization with added assets and transaction costs based on credibility measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 353-360.
- Xia, Yusen & Wang, Shouyang & Deng, Xiaotie, 2001. "A compromise solution to mutual funds portfolio selection with transaction costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(3), pages 564-581, November.
- Canakgoz, N.A. & Beasley, J.E., 2009. "Mixed-integer programming approaches for index tracking and enhanced indexation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(1), pages 384-399, July.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Rouatt, Stephen & Zhu, Haiyan, 2011. "Two-stage evaluation of bank branch efficiency using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 99-109, January.
- Liu, Zugang & Nagurney, Anna, 2011. "Supply chain outsourcing under exchange rate risk and competition," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 539-549, October.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Levy, H & Markowtiz, H M, 1979. "Approximating Expected Utility by a Function of Mean and Variance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 308-17, June.
- E. Birgin & L. Bueno & N. Krejić & J. Martínez, 2011. "Low order-value approach for solving VaR-constrained optimization problems," Journal of Global Optimization, Springer, vol. 51(4), pages 715-742, December.
- Pogue, G A, 1970. "An Extension of the Markowitz Portfolio Selection Model to Include Variable Transactions' Costs, Short Sales, Leverage Policies and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(5), pages 1005-27, December.
- Ogryczak, Wlodzimierz & Ruszczynski, Andrzej, 1999.
"From stochastic dominance to mean-risk models: Semideviations as risk measures,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 33-50, July.
- W. Ogryczak & A. Ruszczynski, 1997. "From Stochastic Dominance to Mean-Risk Models: Semideviations as Risk Measures," Working Papers ir97027, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Chen, Andrew H Y & Jen, Frank C & Zionts, Stanley, 1971. "The Optimal Portfolio Revision Policy," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 51-61, January.
- Michael J. Best & Jaroslava Hlouskova, 2005. "An Algorithm for Portfolio Optimization with Transaction Costs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(11), pages 1676-1688, November.
- Anken, F. & Beasley, J.E., 2012. "Corporate structure optimisation for multinational companies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 230-243, April.
- S. J. Sadjadi & M. B. Aryanezhad & B. F. Moghaddam, 2004. "A dynamic programming approach to solve efficient frontier," Mathematical Methods of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 60(2), pages 203-214, October.
- Gianfranco Guastaroba & Renata Mansini & M. Speranza, 2009. "Models and Simulations for Portfolio Rebalancing," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 237-262, April.
- Frank J. Fabozzi & Sergio Focardi & Caroline Jonas, 2007. "Trends in quantitative equity management: survey results," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-122.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- André, Francisco J. & Herrero, Inés & Riesgo, Laura, 2010. "A modified DEA model to estimate the importance of objectives with an application to agricultural economics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 371-382, October.
- Bougnol, M.-L. & Dulá, J.H. & Estellita Lins, M.P. & Moreira da Silva, A.C., 2010. "Enhancing standard performance practices with DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 33-45, February.
- Xi-li Zhang & Wei-Guo Zhang & Wei-jun Xu & Wei-Lin Xiao, 2010. "Possibilistic Approaches to Portfolio Selection Problem with General Transaction Costs and a CLPSO Algorithm," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 36(3), pages 191-200, October.
- Angelelli, Enrico & Mansini, Renata & Speranza, M. Grazia, 2008. "A comparison of MAD and CVaR models with real features," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1188-1197, July.
- Adcock, C. J. & Meade, N., 1994. "A simple algorithm to incorporate transactions costs in quadratic optimisation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 85-94, November.
- repec:spr:compst:v:60:y:2004:i:2:p:203-214 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:2:p:406-420. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.