A note on the random yield from the perspective of the supply chain
Keren [The single-period inventory problem: extension to random yield from the perspective of the supply chain. Omega 2009;37:801–10] considers a supply chain in which the distributor faces a known demand and orders from the producer subject to a random production yield, and shows that the distributor may find it optimal to order more than what is needed due to supply uncertainty under a uniform distribution. However, Keren (2009) does not address the questions whether it is always optimal for the distributor to order more, or when to order more. In this note, we point out that ordering more is not always an optimal strategy and specify the condition under which this strategy becomes optimal. We also examine the profit losses of the supply chain members resulting from the random yield supply, which is another question not considered in Keren (2009). The producer is found to possibly benefit from this production yield uncertainty, although the performances of the distributor and of the entire supply chain are always undermined. Our results are obtained under a more generalized yield distribution, and can thus be applied to wider industrial domains.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jörnsten, Kurt & Lise Nonås, Sigrid & Sandal, Leif & Ubøe, Jan, 2012. "Transfer of risk in the newsvendor model with discrete demand," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 404-414.
- Mukhopadhyay, Samar K. & Ma, Huafan, 2009. "Joint procurement and production decisions in remanufacturing under quality and demand uncertainty," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 5-17, July.
- Gurnani, Haresh & Gerchak, Yigal, 2007. "Coordination in decentralized assembly systems with uncertain component yields," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1559-1576, February.
- Güler, M. Güray & Bilgiç, Taner, 2009. "On coordinating an assembly system under random yield and random demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(1), pages 342-350, July.
- He, Yuanjie & Zhang, Jiang, 2008. "Random yield risk sharing in a two-level supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 769-781, April.
- Erdem, Asli Sencer & Ozekici, Suleyman, 2002. "Inventory models with random yield in a random environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 239-253, August.
- Keren, Baruch, 2009. "The single-period inventory problem: Extension to random yield from the perspective of the supply chain," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 801-810, August.
- Martin A. Lariviere & Evan L. Porteus, 2001. "Selling to the Newsvendor: An Analysis of Price-Only Contracts," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 293-305, May.
- Yan, Xiaoming & Zhang, Minghui & Liu, Ke, 2010. "A note on coordination in decentralized assembly systems with uncertain component yields," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 205(2), pages 469-478, September.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414.
- Ravi Anupindi & Ram Akella, 1993. "Diversification Under Supply Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(8), pages 944-963, August.
- He, Yuanjie & Zhang, Jiang, 2010. "Random yield supply chain with a yield dependent secondary market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(1), pages 221-230, October.
- Kaya, Onur, 2011. "Outsourcing vs. in-house production: a comparison of supply chain contracts with effort dependent demand," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 168-178, April.
- Serel, Dogan A., 2008. "Inventory and pricing decisions in a single-period problem involving risky supply," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 115-128, November.
- Hosoda, Takamichi & Disney, Stephen M., 2012. "A delayed demand supply chain: Incentives for upstream players," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 478-487.
- Xu, He, 2010. "Managing production and procurement through option contracts in supply chains with random yield," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 306-313, August.
- Terry A. Taylor, 2002. "Supply Chain Coordination Under Channel Rebates with Sales Effort Effects," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(8), pages 992-1007, August.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 2005. "Supply Chain Coordination with Revenue-Sharing Contracts: Strengths and Limitations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Zimmer, Kirstin, 2002. "Supply chain coordination with uncertain just-in-time delivery," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 1-15, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:5:p:601-610. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.