Shift scheduling for tank trucks
In this paper we deal with shift scheduling of tank trucks for a small oil company. Given are a set of tank trucks with different characteristics and a set of drivers with different skills. The objective is to assign a feasible driver to every shift of the tank trucks such that legal and safety restrictions are satisfied, the total working times of the drivers are within desired intervals, requested vacation of the drivers is respected and the trucks are assigned to more favored drivers. We propose a two-phase solution algorithm which is based on a mixed integer linear programming formulation and an improvement procedure. Computational results are reported showing that the algorithm is able to generate feasible schedules in a small amount of time.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vakharia, AJ & Selim, HS & Husted, RR, 1992. "Efficient scheduling of part-time employees," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 201-213, March.
- Lauer, J & Jacobs, LW & Brusco, MJ & Bechtold, SE, 1994. "An interactive, optimization-based decision support system for scheduling part-time, computer lab attendants," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 613-626, November.
- Niklas Kohl & Stefan Karisch, 2004. "Airline Crew Rostering: Problem Types, Modeling, and Optimization," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 223-257, March.
- Gerald G. Brown & Glenn W. Graves, 1981. "Real-Time Dispatch of Petroleum Tank Trucks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 19-32, January.
- Sarin, Subhash C. & Aggarwal, Sanjay, 2001. "Modeling and algorithmic development of a staff scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 128(3), pages 558-569, February.
- Beaumont, Nicholas, 1997. "Scheduling staff using mixed integer programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 473-484, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:5:p:513-521. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.