Duality of weakly disposable technology
The axiom of weak disposability is frequently imposed in data envelopment analysis (DEA) models involving undesirable outputs such as pollution. This paper sheds new light on the economic interpretation of weak disposability by developing dual formulations of the weakly disposable DEA technology. We find that the economic implications of weak disposability on the multiplier DEA problem are two-fold: (1) the shadow prices of the undesirable outputs can be positive or negative, and (2) the economic loss of the benchmark cannot exceed the suck cost of the inputs. We interpret the second implications as a limited liability condition. The dual formulations developed in this paper enable one to estimate shadow prices of the undesirable outputs using the weakly disposable technology. The insights gained are illustrated by a numerical example and an empirical application to the US power plants.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2009. "Removing the impact of environment with units-invariant efficient frontier analysis: An illustrative case study with intertemporal panel data," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 535-544, June.
- Scheel, Holger, 2001. "Undesirable outputs in efficiency valuations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 400-410, July.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Timo Kuosmanen, 2003. "Duality Theory of Non-convex Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 273-304, November.
- Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Pasurka, Carl Jr., 2010. "Toxic releases: An environmental performance index for coal-fired power plants," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 158-165, January.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Pasurka, Carl Jr., 2007. "Pollution abatement activities and traditional productivity," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3-4), pages 673-682, May.
- Korhonen, Pekka J. & Luptacik, Mikulas, 2004. "Eco-efficiency analysis of power plants: An extension of data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 437-446, April.
- Lozano-Vivas, Ana & Pastor, Jesús T., 2010. "Do performance and environmental conditions act as barriers for cross-border banking in Europe?," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 275-282, October.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi, 2003. "Scale characterizations in a DEA directional technology distance function framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 108-127, January.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2002. "Modeling undesirable factors in efficiency evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 16-20, October.
- Ramanathan, Ramakrishnan & Yunfeng, Jiang, 2009. "Incorporating cost and environmental factors in quality function deployment using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 711-723, June.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Kortelainen, Mika & Sipiläinen, Timo & Cherchye, Laurens, 2010. "Firm and industry level profit efficiency analysis using absolute and uniform shadow prices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 584-594, April.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2008. "Infeasibility and Directional Distance Functions with Application to the Determinateness of the Luenberger Productivity Indicator," Working Papers 2008-ECO-11, IESEG School of Management.
- Mika Kortelainen & Timo Kuosmanen, 2005.
"Eco-Efficiency Analysis of Consumer Durables Using Absolute Shadow Prices,"
- Mika Kortelainen & Timo Kuosmanen, 2007. "Eco-efficiency analysis of consumer durables using absolute shadow prices," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 57-69, October.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2007.
"Profit efficiency analysis under limited information with an application to German farm types,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 335-349, June.
- Laurens Cherchye & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2002. "Profit Efficiency Analysis Under Limited Information. With an Application to German Farm Types," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces0202, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Kazemi Matin, Reza & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2009. "Theory of integer-valued data envelopment analysis under alternative returns to scale axioms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 988-995, October.
- Hua, Zhongsheng & Bian, Yiwen & Liang, Liang, 2007. "Eco-efficiency analysis of paper mills along the Huai River: An extended DEA approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 578-587, October.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Victor Podinovski, 2008. "Weak Disposability in Nonparametric Production Analysis: Reply to F�re and Grosskopf," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(2), pages 539-545.
- Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Pasurka, Carl A., 2007. "Environmental production functions and environmental directional distance functions," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1055-1066.
- Ehrgott, Matthias & Tind, Jørgen, 2009. "Column generation with free replicability in DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 943-950, October.
- Dyson, R. G. & Allen, R. & Camanho, A. S. & Podinovski, V. V. & Sarrico, C. S. & Shale, E. A., 2001. "Pitfalls and protocols in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 245-259, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:5:p:504-512. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.