Theory of integer-valued data envelopment analysis
Conventional data envelopment analysis (DEA) models assume real-valued inputs and outputs. In many occasions, some inputs and/or outputs can only take integer values. In some cases, rounding the DEA solution to the nearest whole number can lead to misleading efficiency assessments and performance targets. This paper develops the axiomatic foundation for DEA in the case of integer-valued data, introducing new axioms of "natural disposability" and "natural divisibility". We derive a DEA production possibility set that satisfies the minimum extrapolation principle under our refined set of axioms. We also present a mixed integer linear programming formula for computing efficiency scores. An empirical application to Iranian university departments illustrates the approach.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cherchye, Laurens & Kuosmanen, Timo & Post, Thierry, 2001. "Alternative treatments of congestion in DEA: A rejoinder to Cooper, Gu, and Li," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 75-80, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Timo Kuosmanen, 2005. "Weak Disposability in Nonparametric Production Analysis with Undesirable Outputs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 1077-1082.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Richard C. Morey, 1986. "The Use of Categorical Variables in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(12), pages 1613-1627, December.
- John J. Rousseau & John H. Semple, 1993. "Notes: Categorical Outputs in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(3), pages 384-386, March.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Wagner A. Kamakura, 1988. "Note---A Note on "The Use of Categorical Variables in Data Envelopment Analysis"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(10), pages 1273-1276, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:2:p:658-667. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.