Moral hazard in insurance, value-based cost sharing, and the benefits of blissful ignorance
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 2006. "Reconsidering the moral hazard-risk avoidance tradeoff," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1005-1014, September.
- Pauly, Mark V. & Held, Philip J, 1990. "Benign moral hazard and the cost-effectiveness analysis of insurance coverage," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 447-461, December.
- Jack, William & Sheiner, Louise, 1997. "Welfare-Improving Health Expenditure Subsidies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 206-221, March.
- Zeckhauser, Richard, 1970. "Medical insurance: A case study of the tradeoff between risk spreading and appropriate incentives," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 10-26, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vincenzo Rebba & Dino Rizzi, 2011. "Waiting Times and Cost Sharing for a Public Health Care Service with a Private Alternative: A Multi-agent Approach," Working Papers 2011_18, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Rebecca Myerson & Darius Lakdawalla & Lisandro D. Colantonio & Monika Safford & David Meltzer, 2018.
"Effects of expanding health screening on treatment – What should we expect? What can we learn?,"
2018-014, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Rebecca Mary Myerson & Darius Lakdawalla & Lisandro D. Colantonio & Monika Safford & David Meltzer, 2018. "Effects of Expanding Health Screening on Treatment - What Should We Expect? What Can We Learn?," NBER Working Papers 24347, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katherine Baicker & Sendhil Mullainathan & Joshua Schwartzstein, 2015. "Behavioral Hazard in Health Insurance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 130(4), pages 1623-1667.
- Basu, Anirban & Jena, Anupam B. & Philipson, Tomas J., 2011.
"The impact of comparative effectiveness research on health and health care spending,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 695-706, July.
- Anirban Basu & Tomas J. Philipson, 2010. "The Impact of Comparative Effectiveness Research on Health and Health Care Spending," NBER Working Papers 15633, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fels, Markus Peter, 2017.
"Incentivizing efficient utilization without reducing access: The case against cost-sharing in insurance,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
105, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering.
- Fels, Markus, 2018. "Incentivizing Efficient Utilization Without Reducing Access: The Case Against Cost-Sharing in Insurance," Annual Conference 2018 (Freiburg, Breisgau): Digital Economy 181532, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- García-Gallego, Aurora & Georgantzis, Nikolaos & Jaber-López, Tarek & Staffiero, Gianandrea, 2016.
"An experimental study on the effect of co-payment in public services,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 109-116.
- Aurora García-Gallego & Nikolaos Georgantzis & Gianandrea Staffiero & Tarek Jaber-López, 2013. "An experimental study on the effects of co-payment in public services," Working Papers 2013/03, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Nicolas Ziebarth, 2014. "Assessing the effectiveness of health care cost containment measures: evidence from the market for rehabilitation care," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 41-67, March.
- Basu, Anirban, 2011.
"Economics of individualization in comparative effectiveness research and a basis for a patient-centered health care,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 549-559, May.
- Anirban Basu, 2011. "Economics of Individualization in Comparative Effectiveness Research and a Basis for a Patient-Centered Health Care," NBER Working Papers 16900, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amitabh Chandra & Jonathan Skinner, 2012.
"Technology Growth and Expenditure Growth in Health Care,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 50(3), pages 645-680, September.
- Amitabh Chandra & Jonathan S. Skinner, 2011. "Technology Growth and Expenditure Growth in Health Care," NBER Working Papers 16953, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paula González & Nicolás Porteiro, 2009. "New perspectives in the design of pharmaceutical copayments," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2009/07, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Jacques Drèze & Erik Schokkaert, 2013.
"Arrow’s theorem of the deductible: Moral hazard and stop-loss in health insurance,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 147-163, October.
- DREZE, Jacques & SCHOKKAERT, Erik, 2012. "Arrow’s theorem of the deductible: moral hazard and stop-loss in health insurance," CORE Discussion Papers 2012027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:bla:ecinqu:v:55:y:2017:i:3:p:1452-1467 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Drummond & Adrian Towse, 2012. "Is it time to reconsider the role of patient co-payments for pharmaceuticals in Europe?," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 13(1), pages 1-5, February.
- Glazer, Jacob & McGuire, Thomas G., 2012. "A welfare measure of “offset effects” in health insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(5), pages 520-523.
- Basu, Anirban, 2015.
"Welfare implications of learning through solicitation versus diversification in health care,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 165-173.
- Anirban Basu, 2014. "Welfare Implications of Learning Through Solicitation versus Diversification in Health Care," NBER Working Papers 20376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosalba Rombaldoni, 2012. "The use of cost-sharing to control demand and the implications for equity: some theoretical and empirical evidence for Italy," Working Papers 1211, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2012.
- Westerhout, Ed & Folmer, Kees, 2018. "The Effects of Capping Co-Insurance Payments," Discussion Paper 2018-050, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Glazer, Jacob & McGuire, Thomas G., 2013. "Making Medicare advantage a middle-class program," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 463-473.
- Amitabh Chandra & Katherine Baicker, 2011. "Aspirin, angioplasty and proton beam therapy: the economics of smarter health-care spending," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 197-235.
- Arrieta, Alejandro & García-Prado, Ariadna, 2015. "Cost sharing and hospitalizations for ambulatory care sensitive conditions," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 115-120.
More about this item
KeywordsHealth insurance Moral hazard Value-based cost sharing;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhecon:v:27:y:2008:i:6:p:1407-1417. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.