Moral hazard in insurance, value-based cost sharing, and the benefits of blissful ignorance
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 2006. "Reconsidering the moral hazard-risk avoidance tradeoff," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1005-1014, September.
- Pauly, Mark V. & Held, Philip J, 1990. "Benign moral hazard and the cost-effectiveness analysis of insurance coverage," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 447-461, December.
- Jack, William & Sheiner, Louise, 1997. "Welfare-Improving Health Expenditure Subsidies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 206-221, March.
- Zeckhauser, Richard, 1970. "Medical insurance: A case study of the tradeoff between risk spreading and appropriate incentives," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 10-26, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Katherine Baicker & Sendhil Mullainathan & Joshua Schwartzstein, 2015. "Behavioral Hazard in Health Insurance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 130(4), pages 1623-1667.
- Vincenzo Rebba & Dino Rizzi, 2011. "Waiting Times and Cost Sharing for a Public Health Care Service with a Private Alternative: A Multi-agent Approach," Working Papers 2011_18, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Basu, Anirban, 2015.
"Welfare implications of learning through solicitation versus diversification in health care,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 165-173.
- Anirban Basu, 2014. "Welfare Implications of Learning Through Solicitation versus Diversification in Health Care," NBER Working Papers 20376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Basu, Anirban & Jena, Anupam B. & Philipson, Tomas J., 2011.
"The impact of comparative effectiveness research on health and health care spending,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 695-706, July.
- Anirban Basu & Tomas J. Philipson, 2010. "The Impact of Comparative Effectiveness Research on Health and Health Care Spending," NBER Working Papers 15633, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amitabh Chandra & Jonathan Skinner, 2012.
"Technology Growth and Expenditure Growth in Health Care,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, pages 645-680.
- Amitabh Chandra & Jonathan S. Skinner, 2011. "Technology Growth and Expenditure Growth in Health Care," NBER Working Papers 16953, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosalba Rombaldoni, 2012. "The use of cost-sharing to control demand and the implications for equity: some theoretical and empirical evidence for Italy," Working Papers 1211, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2012.
- García-Gallego, Aurora & Georgantzis, Nikolaos & Jaber-López, Tarek & Staffiero, Gianandrea, 2016.
"An experimental study on the effect of co-payment in public services,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 109-116.
- Aurora García-Gallego & Nikolaos Georgantzis & Gianandrea Staffiero & Tarek Jaber-López, 2013. "An experimental study on the effects of co-payment in public services," Working Papers 2013/03, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Nicolas Ziebarth, 2014. "Assessing the effectiveness of health care cost containment measures: evidence from the market for rehabilitation care," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 41-67, March.
- Glazer, Jacob & McGuire, Thomas G., 2013. "Making Medicare advantage a middle-class program," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 463-473.
- Basu, Anirban, 2011.
"Economics of individualization in comparative effectiveness research and a basis for a patient-centered health care,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 549-559, May.
- Anirban Basu, 2011. "Economics of Individualization in Comparative Effectiveness Research and a Basis for a Patient-Centered Health Care," NBER Working Papers 16900, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paula González & Nicolás Porteiro, 2009. "New perspectives in the design of pharmaceutical copayments," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2009/07, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Jacques Drèze & Erik Schokkaert, 2013.
"Arrow’s theorem of the deductible: Moral hazard and stop-loss in health insurance,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 147-163, October.
- DREZE, Jacques & SCHOKKAERT, Erik, 2012. "Arrow’s theorem of the deductible: moral hazard and stop-loss in health insurance," CORE Discussion Papers 2012027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Katherine Baicker & Amitabh Chandra, 2011. "Aspirin, angioplasty and proton beam therapy: the economics of smarter health-care spending," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 197-235.
- repec:bla:ecinqu:v:55:y:2017:i:3:p:1452-1467 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arrieta, Alejandro & García-Prado, Ariadna, 2015. "Cost sharing and hospitalizations for ambulatory care sensitive conditions," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 115-120.
- Michael Drummond & Adrian Towse, 2012. "Is it time to reconsider the role of patient co-payments for pharmaceuticals in Europe?," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 13(1), pages 1-5, February.
- Fels, Markus Peter, 2017. "Incentivizing efficient utilization without reducing access: The case against cost-sharing in insurance," Working Paper Series in Economics 105, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering.
- Glazer, Jacob & McGuire, Thomas G., 2012. "A welfare measure of “offset effects” in health insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(5), pages 520-523.
More about this item
KeywordsHealth insurance Moral hazard Value-based cost sharing;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhecon:v:27:y:2008:i:6:p:1407-1417. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560 .