Explaining variations in inpatient length of stay in the National Health Service
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Westert, Gert P. & Nieboer, Anna P. & Groenewegen, Peter P., 1993. "Variation in duration of hospital stay between hospitals and between doctors within hospitals," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 833-839, September.
- Roy Carr-Hill & Geoffrey Hardman & Stephen Martin & Stuart Peacock & Trevor Sheldon & Peter Smith, 1994. "A formula for distributing NHS revenues based on small area use of hospital beds," Working Papers 022cheop, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Cairns, John A. & Munro, Jill, 1992. "Why does length of stay vary for orthopaedic surgery?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 297-306, October.
- Fenn, Paul & Davies, Philip, 1990. "Variations in length of stay : A conditional likelihood approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 223-234, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cooper, Zack & Gibbons, Stephen & Jones, Simon & McGuire, Alistair, 2010.
"Does hospital competition improve efficiency? An analysis of the recent market-based reforms to the English NHS,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
28578, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Zack Cooper & Steve Gibbons & Simon Jones & Alistair McGuire, 2010. "Does Hospital Competition Improve Efficiency? An Analysis of the Recent Market-Based Reforms to the English NHS," CEP Discussion Papers dp0988, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Zack Cooper & Stephen Gibbons & Simon Jones & Alistair McGuire, 2012.
"Does Competition Improve Public Hospitals' Efficiency? Evidence from a Quasi-Experiment in the English National Health Service,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1125, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Cooper, Zack & Gibbons, Stephen & Jones, Simon & McGuire, Alistair, 2012. "Does competition improve public hospitals’ efficiency?: evidence from a quasi-experiment in the English National Health Service," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 42057, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mehdi Farsi, 2008. "The temporal variation of cost-efficiency in Switzerland’s hospitals: an application of mixed models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 155-168, October.
- Theurl, Engelbert & Winner, Hannes, 2007. "The impact of hospital financing on the length of stay: Evidence from Austria," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 375-389, August.
- Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero & Karine Moschetti, 2006.
"Small area variations and welfare loss in the use of antibiotics in the community,"
0609, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
- Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero & Karine Moschetti, 2006. "Small area variations and welfare loss in the use of antibiotics in the community," Quaderni della facoltà di Scienze economiche dell'Università di Lugano 0607, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Perelman, Julian & Shmueli, Amir & Closon, Marie-Christine, 2008. "Deriving a risk-adjustment formula for hospital financing: Integrating the impact of socio-economic status on length of stay," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 88-98, January.
- Cooper, Zack & Gibbons, Stephen & Skellern, Matthew, 2016.
"Does competition from private surgical centres improve public hospitals’ performance? Evidence from the English National Health Service,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
67662, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Zack Cooper & Stephen Gibbons & Matthew Skellern, 2016. "Does Competition from Private Surgical Centres Improve Public Hospitals' Performance? Evidence from the English National Health Service," CEP Discussion Papers dp1434, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- MORIKAWA Masayuki, 2010. "Economies of Scale and Hospital Productivity: An empirical analysis of medical area level panel data," Discussion papers 10050, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Socha, Karolina & Bech, Mickael, 2011. "The relationship between dual practice and physicians’ work behaviour in the public hospitals: Results from the Danish survey," COHERE Working Paper 2011:1, University of Southern Denmark, COHERE - Centre of Health Economics Research.
- Maria Goddard & Peter Smith, 1998. "Equity of access to health care," Working Papers 032cheop, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Sara Dias & Valeska Andreozzi & Rosário Martins, 2013. "Analysis of HIV/AIDS DRG in Portugal: a hierarchical finite mixture model," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 14(5), pages 715-723, October.
- , 2010. "Length of Stay - A Data Analytic Approach," Journal of Quantitative Economics, The Indian Econometric Society, vol. 8(2), pages 42-60.
- Robin Thompson & Ana Xavier, 2004.
"Are Patients in the Transition World Paying Unofficially to Stay Longer in Hospital? Some Evidence from Kazakhstan,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
14004, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Robin Thompson & Ana Xavier, 2010. "Are Patients in the Transition World Paying Unofficially to Stay Longer in Hospital? Some Evidence from Kazakhstan," Working Papers id:2485, eSocialSciences.
- Polyzos, Nicholas M., 2002. "Striving towards efficiency in the Greek hospitals by reviewing case mix classifications," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 305-328, September.
- Siciliani, Luigi & Stanciole, Anderson & Jacobs, Rowena, 2009. "Do waiting times reduce hospital costs?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 771-780, July.
- Chang, Shyr-Juh & Hsiao, Hsing-Chin & Huang, Li-Hua & Chang, Hsihui, 2011. "Taiwan quality indicator project and hospital productivity growth," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 14-22, January.
- Perelman, Julian & Closon, Marie-Christine, 2007. "Hospital response to prospective financing of in-patient days: The Belgian case," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 84(2-3), pages 200-209, December.
- Wren, Maev-Ann & Gillespie, Paddy & Smith, Samantha & Kearns, Karen & Crichton,Siobhan & Parkin, David & Hickey, Anne & Horgan, Frances & Wiley, Miriam, 2014. "Towards Earlier Discharge, Better Outcomes, Lower Cost: Stroke Rehabilitation in Ireland," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number BKMNEXT277.
- Gabriel Picone & R. Mark Wilson & Shin-Yi Chou, 2003. "Analysis of hospital length of stay and discharge destination using hazard functions with unmeasured heterogeneity," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(12), pages 1021-1034.
- Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte & Olsen, Kim R. & Sørensen, Torben H., 2012. "Socio-demographic patient profiles and hospital efficiency: Does patient mix affect a hospital's ability to perform?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 136-145.
- Hung, Jung-Hua & Chang, Li, 2008. "Has cost containment after the National Health Insurance system been successful: Determinants of Taiwan hospital costs," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 321-335, March.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhecon:v:15:y:1996:i:3:p:279-304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560 .