Time-changed Lévy LIBOR market model: Pricing and joint estimation of the cap surface and swaption cube
We propose a novel time-changed Lévy LIBOR (London Interbank Offered Rate) market model for jointly pricing of caps and swaptions. The time changes are split into three components. The first component allows matching the volatility term structure, the second generates stochastic volatility, and the third accommodates for stochastic skew. The parsimonious model is flexible enough to accommodate the behavior of both caps and swaptions. For the joint estimation we use a comprehensive data set spanning the financial crisis of 2007–2010. We find that, even during this period, neither market is as fragmented as suggested by the previous literature.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ravi Jagannathan & Andrew Kaplin & Steve Guoqiang Sun, 2001.
"An Evaluation of Multi-Factor CIR Models Using LIBOR, Swap Rates, and Cap and Swaption Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
8682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Kaplin, Andrew & Sun, Steve, 2003. "An evaluation of multi-factor CIR models using LIBOR, swap rates, and cap and swaption prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 113-146.
- Das, Sanjiv R., 2002. "The surprise element: jumps in interest rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 27-65, January.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
- Diana Hancock & Wayne Passmore, 2011. "Did the Federal Reserve's MBS purchase program lower mortgage rates?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-01, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Michael Johannes, 2004. "The Statistical and Economic Role of Jumps in Continuous-Time Interest Rate Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 227-260, 02.
- Tomas Björk & Yuri Kabanov & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 1997. "Bond Market Structure in the Presence of Marked Point Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 211-239.
- E. Eberlein & J. Liinev, 2007. "The Levy Swap Market Model," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 171-196.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2002.
"Time-Changed Levy Processes and Option Pricing,"
- Ernst Eberlein & Sebastian Raible, 1999. "Term Structure Models Driven by General Lévy Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 31-53.
- Casassus, Jaime & Collin-Dufresne, Pierre & Goldstein, Bob, 2005. "Unspanned stochastic volatility and fixed income derivatives pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 2723-2749, November.
- Bianchetti, Marco & Carlicchi, Mattia, 2011. "Interest Rates After the Credit Crunch: Markets and Models Evolution," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 32, pages 35-48.
- Robert Jarrow & Haitao Li & Feng Zhao, 2007. "Interest Rate Caps "Smile" Too! But Can the LIBOR Market Models Capture the Smile?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 345-382, 02.
- Rong Fan & Anurag Gupta & Peter Ritchken, 2003. "Hedging in the Possible Presence of Unspanned Stochastic Volatility: Evidence from Swaption Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2219-2248, October.
- Ernst Eberlein & Fehmi Özkan, 2005. "The Lévy LIBOR model," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 327-348, 07.
- Driessen, J.J.A.G. & Klaassen, P. & Melenberg, B., 2000.
"The Performance of Multi-Factor Term Structure Models for Pricing and Hedging Caps and Swaptions,"
2000-93, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Driessen, Joost & Klaassen, Pieter & Melenberg, Bertrand, 2003. "The Performance of Multi-Factor Term Structure Models for Pricing and Hedging Caps and Swaptions," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(03), pages 635-672, September.
- S. Galluccio & J.-M. Ly & Z. Huang & O. Scaillet, 2007.
"Theory And Calibration Of Swap Market Models,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 111-141.
- Hancock, Diana & Passmore, Wayne, 2011. "Did the Federal Reserve's MBS purchase program lower mortgage rates?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 498-514.
- Haitao Li & Feng Zhao, 2009. "Nonparametric Estimation of State-Price Densities Implicit in Interest Rate Cap Prices," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(11), pages 4335-4376, November.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2004.
"Stochastic Skew in Currency Options,"
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfinec:v:111:y:2014:i:1:p:224-250. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.