Agricultural Intensification versus Extensification: A Case Study of Deforestation in the Northern-Hill Region of Vietnam
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Edward B. Barbier & Joanne C. Burgess, 1997. "The Economics of Tropical Forest Land Use Options," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(2), pages 174-195.
- Ian Coxhead & Sisira Jayasuriya, 1994.
"Technical Change in Agriculture and Land Degradation in Developing Countries: A General Equilibrium Analysis,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(1), pages 20-37.
- Coxhead, Ian & Jayasuriya, Sisira, 1992. "Technical Change in Agriculture and Land Degradation in Developing Countries: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Staff Papers 200547, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Coxhead, Ian & Jayasuriya, Sisira, 1993. "Technical Change in Agriculture and Land Degradation in Developing Countries: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Staff Papers 200548, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Benjamin, Dwayne, 1992. "Household Composition, Labor Markets, and Labor Demand: Testing for Separation in Agricultural Household Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 287-322, March.
- Lopez, Ramon & Niklitschek, Mario, 1991. "Dual economic growth in poor tropical areas," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 189-211, October.
- Pingali, Prabhu L & Xuan, Vo-Tong, 1992. "Vietnam: Decollectivization and Rice Productivity Growth," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(4), pages 697-718, July.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-417, June.
- Anderson, Terry L & Hill, Peter J, 1990. "The Race for Property Rights," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(1), pages 177-197, April.
- Ehui, Simeon K. & Hertel, Thomas W. & Preckel, Paul V., 1990. "Forest resource depletion, soil dynamics, and agricultural productivity in the tropics," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 136-154, March.
- Clay, Daniel & Reardon, Thomas & Kangasniemi, Jaakko, 1998.
"Sustainable Intensification in the Highland Tropics: Rwandan Farmers' Investments in Land Conservation and Soil Fertility,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(2), pages 351-377, January.
- Clay, Daniel & Reardon, Thomas A. & Kangasniemi, Jaakko, 1995. "Sustainable Intensification in the Highland Tropics: Rwandan Farmers' Investments in Land Conservation and Soil Fertility," Staff Paper Series 201198, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Elnagheeb, Abdelmoneim H. & Bromley, Daniel W., 1994. "Extensification of agriculture and deforestation: Empirical evidence from Sudan," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 193-200, April.
- Angelsen, Arild, 1999. "Agricultural expansion and deforestation: modelling the impact of population, market forces and property rights," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 185-218, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vallino, Elena & Aldahsev,Gani, 2013.
"NGOs and participatory conservation in developing countries: why are there inefficiencies?,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers
201318, University of Turin.
- Gani Aldashev & Elena Vallino, 2018. "NGOs and Participatory Conservation in Developing Countries: Why Are There Inefficiencies?," Working Papers ECARES 2018-16, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Yoshito Takasaki, 2013. "Deforestation, forest fallowing, and soil conservation in shifting cultivation," Tsukuba Economics Working Papers 2013-003, Economics, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Tsukuba.
- Carney Conor & Abman Ryan, 2018. "Land rights, agricultural productivity, and deforestation in Viet Nam," WIDER Working Paper Series 88, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Francisco Fontes & Charles Palmer, 2017. "Was von Thünen right? Cattle intensification and deforestation in Brazil," GRI Working Papers 261, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- repec:eee:forpol:v:97:y:2018:i:c:p:153-162 is not listed on IDEAS
- Illukpitiya, Prabodh & Yanagida, John F., 2010. "Farming vs forests: Trade-off between agriculture and the extraction of non-timber forest products," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(10), pages 1952-1963, August.
- Labarta, Ricardo A. & White, Douglas S. & Swinton, Scott M., 2008. "Does Charcoal Production Slow Agricultural Expansion into the Peruvian Amazon Rainforest?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 527-540, March.
- Yoshito Takasaki, 2011. "Economic models of shifting cultivation: a review," Tsukuba Economics Working Papers 2011-006, Economics, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Tsukuba.
- Leisz, Stephen J. & Thu Ha, Nguyen thi & Bich Yen, Nguyen thi & Lam, Nguyen Thanh & Vien, Tran Duc, 2005. "Developing a methodology for identifying, mapping and potentially monitoring the distribution of general farming system types in Vietnam's northern mountain region," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 340-363, September.
- Yoshito Takasaki & Oliver T. Coomes & Christian Abizaid & StÃ©phanie Brisson, 2014.
"An Efficient Nonmarket Institution under Imperfect Markets: Labor Sharing for Tropical Forest Clearing,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 96(3), pages 711-732.
- Yoshito Takasaki & Oliver T. Coomes & Christian Abizaid & St?phanie Brisson, 2011. "An efficient nonmarket institution under imperfect markets: Labor sharing for tropical forest clearing," Tsukuba Economics Working Papers 2011-007, Economics, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Tsukuba, revised Jan 2012.
- Dao Minh, Truong & Yanagisawa, Masayuki & Kono, Yasuyuki, 2017. "Forest transition in Vietnam: A case study of Northern mountain region," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 72-80.
- Unai Pascual & Edward B. Barbier, 2007. "On Price Liberalization, Poverty, and Shifting Cultivation: An Example from Mexico," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 83(2), pages 192-216.
- Antinori, Camille M. & Rausser, Gordon C., 2003. "Does Community Involvement Matter? How Collective Choice Affects Forests in Mexico," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt83j385n0, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Diao, Xinshen & Silver, Jed & Takeshima, Hiroyuki, 2016. "Agricultural mechanization and agricultural transformation:," IFPRI discussion papers 1527, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- repec:eee:forpol:v:90:y:2018:i:c:p:128-141 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pascual, Unai & Barbier, Edward B., 2003. "Modelling Land Degradation In Low-Input Agriculture: The 'Population Pressure Hypothesis' Revised," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25827, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jeremy G. Weber & Erin O. Sills & Simone Bauch & Subhrendu K. Pattanayak, 2011. "Do ICDPs Work? An Empirical Evaluation of Forest-Based Microenterprises in the Brazilian Amazon," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 87(4), pages 661-681.
- Ngoma, Hambulo & Angelsen, Arild, 2017. "Can conservation agriculture save tropical forests? The case of minimum tillage in Zambia," Working Paper Series 02-2017, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, School of Economics and Business.
- Antinori, Camille & Rausser, Gordon C., 2003. "Does Community Involvement Matter? How Collective Choice Affects Forests in Mexico," CUDARE Working Papers 25076, University of California, Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jeeman:v:41:y:2001:i:1:p:44-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622870 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.