Institutional and economic drivers of entrepreneurship: An international perspective
Entrepreneurial activity varies significantly across countries and over time. The economic and institutional context is a determining factor that can drive and lend shape to entrepreneurial activity. The search for a deeper understanding of the role of this factor constitutes a promising and important research stream. A thorough review of the specialist literature identifies groups of countries with similar economic and institutional environments. Subsequent analysis highlights differences in entrepreneurial activity and innovation outcomes between these homogeneous groups. Results indicate significant differences, not only in entrepreneurial activity, but also in the type of entrepreneurship and innovation results. These findings mark a relevant step forward in the identification of different environment types, and the effects of environment on entrepreneurial activity and innovation results.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spencer, Jennifer W. & Gomez, Carolina, 2004. "The relationship among national institutional structures, economic factors, and domestic entrepreneurial activity: a multicountry study," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(10), pages 1098-1107, October.
- van Stel, A.J. & Storey, D. & Thurik, A.R., 2006.
"The Effect of Business Regulations on Nascent and Young Business Entrepreneurship,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2006-052-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- André Stel & David Storey & A. Thurik, 2007. "The Effect of Business Regulations on Nascent and Young Business Entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 171-186, March.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Storey, 2006. "The effect of business regulations on nascent and young business entrepreneurship," Scales Research Reports H200609, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Niels Bosma & Veronique Schutjens, 2011. "Understanding regional variation in entrepreneurial activity and entrepreneurial attitude in Europe," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 47(3), pages 711-742, December.
- Audretsch, David B & Carree, Martin A & Thurik, A R Roy & van Stel, André, 2005.
"Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5057, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2007. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Scales Research Reports H200709, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- A. Roy Thurik & Martin A. Carree & Andre van Stel & David B. Audretsch, 2007. "Does Self-Employment reduce Unemployment?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-089, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2005. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Scales Research Reports N200504, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- David B. Audretsch & Roy Thurik & Andre van Stel & M.A. Carree, 2006. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-07, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Ruta Aidis, & Saul Estrin & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2007.
"Institutions and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: A Comparative Perspective,"
79 Key Words: Entrepreneu, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Aidis, Ruta & Estrin, Saul & Mickiewicz, Tomasz, 2008. "Institutions and entrepreneurship development in Russia: A comparative perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 656-672, November.
- Saul Estrin & Ruta Aidis & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2007. "Institutions and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: A Comparative Perspective," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp867, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ruta Aidis & Saul Estrin & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2007. "Institutions and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia:A Comparative Perspective," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 07-03, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Harbi, Sana El & Anderson, Alistair R., 2010. "Institutions and the shaping of different forms of entrepreneurship," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 436-444, June.
- Díaz Casero, J.C. & Urbano Pulido, D. & Hernández Mogollón, R., 2005. "Teoría Económica Institucional Y Creación De Empresas /," Investigaciones Europeas de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (IEDEE), Academia Europea de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (AEDEM), vol. 11(3), pages 209-230.
- Anisya S Thomas & Stephen L Mueller, 2000. "A Case for Comparative Entrepreneurship: Assessing the Relevance of Culture," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 287-301, June.
- Robert L. Engle & Christopher Schlaegel & Nikolay Dimitriadi, 2011. "Institutions And Entrepreneurial Intent: A Cross-Country Study," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 16(02), pages 227-250.
- Broberg, J. Christian & McKelvie, Alexander & Short, Jeremy C. & Ketchen, David J. & Wan, William P., 2013. "Political institutional structure influences on innovative activity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(12), pages 2574-2580.
- María-José Pinillos & Luisa Reyes, 2011. "Relationship between individualist–collectivist culture and entrepreneurial activity: evidence from Global Entrepreneurship Monitor data," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 23-37, July.
- Gregory Jackson & Richard Deeg, 2008. "Comparing capitalisms: understanding institutional diversity and its implications for international business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(4), pages 540-561, June.
- Sander Wennekers & Roy Thurik & André Stel & Niels Noorderhaven, 2007.
"Uncertainty avoidance and the rate of business ownership across 21 OECD countries, 1976–2004,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 133-160, April.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers & Niels Noorderhaven, 2006. "Uncertainty avoidance and the rate of business ownership across 21 OECD countries, 1976-2004," Scales Research Reports H200605, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Wennekers, A.R.M. & Thurik, A.R. & van Stel, A.J. & Noorderhaven, N., 2006. "Uncertainty Avoidance and the Rate of Business Ownership Across 21 OECD Countries, 1976-2004," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-065-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Jonathan Levie & Erkko Autio, 2008. "A theoretical grounding and test of the GEM model," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 235-263, October.
- Schiller, Bradley R & Crewson, Philip E, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Origins: A Longitudinal Inquiry," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 35(3), pages 523-31, July.
- Gordon Redding, 2005. "The thick description and comparison of societal systems of capitalism," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(2), pages 123-155, March.
- Frank H. Stephen & David Urbano & Stefan van Hemmen, 2005. "The impact of institutions on entrepreneurial activity," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(7), pages 413-419.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:67:y:2014:i:5:p:715-721. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.