Beyond technology acceptance: Brand relationships and online brand experience
This paper combines insights from marketing and information systems research to arrive at an integrative model of online brand experience. In this model emotional aspects of brand relationship supplement the dimension of technology acceptance to arrive at a more complete understanding of consumer experience with an online brand. The empirical tests involve structural equation modeling and primary data from a survey of 456 users of online search engines. The results demonstrate that trust and perceived usefulness positively affect online brand experience. Positive experiences result in satisfaction and behavioral intentions that in turn lead to the formation of online brand relationship. Interestingly, brand reputation emerges as an important antecedent of trust and perceived ease of use of an online brand.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bridges, Eileen & Florsheim, Renée, 2008. "Hedonic and utilitarian shopping goals: The online experience," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 309-314, April.
- Thomas P. Novak & Donna L. Hoffman & Yiu-Fai Yung, 2000. "Measuring the Customer Experience in Online Environments: A Structural Modeling Approach," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(1), pages 22-42, May.
- Caruana, Albert & Ewing, Michael T., 2010. "How corporate reputation, quality, and value influence online loyalty," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(9-10), pages 1103-1110, September.
- Mollen, Anne & Wilson, Hugh, 2010. "Engagement, telepresence and interactivity in online consumer experience: Reconciling scholastic and managerial perspectives," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(9-10), pages 919-925, September.
- Bruner, Gordon II & Kumar, Anand, 2005. "Explaining consumer acceptance of handheld Internet devices," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 553-558, May.
- Eastlick, Mary Ann & Lotz, Sherry L. & Warrington, Patricia, 2006. "Understanding online B-to-C relationships: An integrated model of privacy concerns, trust, and commitment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 877-886, August.
- Naresh K. Malhotra & Sung S. Kim & Ashutosh Patil, 2006. "Common Method Variance in IS Research: A Comparison of Alternative Approaches and a Reanalysis of Past Research," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(12), pages 1865-1883, December.
- Kwon, Wi-Suk & Lennon, Sharron J., 2009. "What induces online loyalty? Online versus offline brand images," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(5), pages 557-564, May.
- Gentile, Chiara & Spiller, Nicola & Noci, Giuliano, 2007. "How to Sustain the Customer Experience:: An Overview of Experience Components that Co-create Value With the Customer," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 395-410, October.
- McCole, Patrick & Ramsey, Elaine & Williams, John, 2010. "Trust considerations on attitudes towards online purchasing: The moderating effect of privacy and security concerns," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(9-10), pages 1018-1024, September.
- Hausman, Angela V. & Siekpe, Jeffrey Sam, 2009. "The effect of web interface features on consumer online purchase intentions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 5-13, January.
- Fournier, Susan, 1998. " Consumers and Their Brands: Developing Relationship Theory in Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 343-73, March.
- Taylor, David G. & Strutton, David, 2010. "Has e-marketing come of age? Modeling historical influences on post-adoption era Internet consumer behaviors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(9-10), pages 950-956, September.
- Dazhong Wu & Gautam Ray & Xianjun Geng & Andrew Whinston, 2004. "Implications of Reduced Search Cost and Free Riding in E-Commerce," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(2), pages 255-262, November.
- Veloutsou, Cleopatra & Moutinho, Luiz, 2009. "Brand relationships through brand reputation and brand tribalism," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 314-322, March.
- Arnold, Mark J. & Reynolds, Kristy E. & Ponder, Nicole & Lueg, Jason E., 2005. "Customer delight in a retail context: investigating delightful and terrible shopping experiences," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1132-1145, August.
- Viswanath Venkatesh & Fred D. Davis, 2000. "A Theoretical Extension of the Technology Acceptance Model: Four Longitudinal Field Studies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(2), pages 186-204, February.
- Ha, Sejin & Stoel, Leslie, 2009. "Consumer e-shopping acceptance: Antecedents in a technology acceptance model," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(5), pages 565-571, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:66:y:2013:i:1:p:21-27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.