Researchers' introspection for multi-sited ethnographers: A xenoheteroglossic autoethnography
While multi-sited ethnography has been gaining attention increasingly in consumer studies, the presence of geographically dispersed researchers from different cultural backgrounds poses methodological questions we are not fully equipped to handle. Relying on an extensive literature review and abductive reasoning originated by our investigation of desire and imagination in urban transformation, we propose xenoheteroglossic autoethnography (XHAE) as a form of ethnographically-driven introspection by researchers from multiple countries with diverse cultural backgrounds. Our method is discussed in terms of cultural entrée within and beyond the self, gathering and documenting data, analyzing and communicating data, and ensuring research trustworthiness. The current study helps position the technique beyond the epistemological and methodological disputes that have surrounded the use of introspection in consumer research, and researcher introspection in particular. We investigate how researcher introspection at the onset of and during multi-sited research projects can improve researchers' reflexivity and enhance multi-sited ethnography trustworthiness.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levy, Sidney J, 1996. " Stalking the Amphisbaena," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 163-76, December.
- Wallendorf, Melanie & Brucks, Merrie, 1993. " Introspection in Consumer Research: Implementation and Implications," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 339-59, December.
- Holbrook, Morris B., 2006. "Consumption experience, customer value, and subjective personal introspection: An illustrative photographic essay," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(6), pages 714-725, June.
- Gould, Stephen J, 1991. " The Self-Manipulation of My Pervasive, Perceived Vital Energy through Product Use: An Introspective-Praxis Perspective," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 194-207, September.
- Gould, Stephen J, 1995. " Researcher Introspection as a Method in Consumer Research: Applications, Issues, and Implications: Comments," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(4), pages 719-22, March.
- Dubois, Anna & Gadde, Lars-Erik, 2002. "Systematic combining: an abductive approach to case research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(7), pages 553-560, July.
- Dannie Kjeldgaard & Sren Askegaard, 2006. "The Glocalization of Youth Culture: The Global Youth Segment as Structures of Common Difference," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 231-247, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:65:y:2012:i:4:p:483-489. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.