Firm growth and efficiency in the banking industry: A new test of the efficient structure hypothesis
In this paper we propose a new test of the efficient structure (ES) hypothesis, which predicts that efficient firms come out ahead in competition and grow as a result. Our test has significant advantages over existing ones, because it is more direct, and can jointly test the so-called quiet-life hypothesis, which predicts that in a concentrated market firms do not minimize costs. We then apply this test to large banks in Japan. Consistent with the ES hypothesis, we find that more efficient banks become larger. We also find that market concentration reduces banks’ efficiency, which supports the quiet-life hypothesis. These findings imply that there is an intriguing growth–efficiency dynamic throughout banks’ life cycle, although our findings also suggest that the ES hypothesis dominates the quiet-life hypothesis in terms of economic impact.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Park, Kang H. & Weber, William L., 2006. "Profitability of Korean banks: Test of market structure versus efficient structure," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 222-239.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1988.
"The price-concentration relationship in banking,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Goddard, John A. & McKillop, Donal G. & Wilson, John O. S., 2002. "The growth of US credit unions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(12), pages 2327-2356.
- Homma, Tetsushi & Tsutsui, Yoshiro & Uchida, Hirofumi, 2014.
"Firm growth and efficiency in the banking industry: A new test of the efficient structure hypothesis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 143-153.
- HOMMA Tetsushi & TSUTSUI Yoshiro & UCHIDA Hirofumi, 2012. "Firm Growth and Efficiency in the Banking Industry: A new test of the efficient structure hypothesis," Discussion papers 12060, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989.
"Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels,"
89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Brewer III, Elijah & Jackson III, William E., 2006. "A note on the "risk-adjusted" price-concentration relationship in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1041-1054, March.
- Maudos, Joaquin & de Guevara, Juan Fernandez, 2007. "The cost of market power in banking: Social welfare loss vs. cost inefficiency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2103-2125, July.
- Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2006. "Bank Competition, Concentration And Efficiency In The Single European Market," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 441-468, 07.
- Turk Ariss, Rima, 2010. "On the implications of market power in banking: Evidence from developing countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 765-775, April.
- Michael Koetter & James W. Kolari & Laura Spierdijk, 2012. "Enjoying the Quiet Life under Deregulation? Evidence from Adjusted Lerner Indices for U.S. Banks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 462-480, May.
- Smirlock, Michael, 1985. "Evidence on the (Non) Relationship between Concentration and Profitability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, February.
- Allen Berger & Timothy Hannan, 1994.
"The Efficiency Cost of Market Power in the Banking Industry: A Test of the 'Quiet Life' and Related Hypotheses,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
94-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1998. "The Efficiency Cost Of Market Power In The Banking Industry: A Test Of The "Quiet Life" And Related Hypotheses," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 454-465, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1994. "The efficiency cost of market power in the banking industry: a test of the "quiet life" and related hypotheses," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-374, October.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Fiona Tregenna, 2009. "The fat years: the structure and profitability of the US banking sector in the pre-crisis period," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 609-632, July.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, December.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Meng-Fen Hsieh & Chien-Chiang Lee, 2010. "The Puzzle Between Banking Competition and Profitability can be Solved: International Evidence from Bank-Level Data," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 38(2), pages 135-157, December.
- Al-Muharrami, Saeed & Matthews, Kent, 2009.
"Market Power versus Efficient-Structure in Arab GCC Banking,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2009/7, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Saeed Al-Muharrami & Kent Matthews, 2009. "Market power versus efficient-structure in Arab GCC banking," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(18), pages 1487-1496.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275, December.
- Ishikawa, Daisuke & Tsutsui, Yoshiro, 2013. "Credit crunch and its spatial differences in Japan's lost decade: What can we learn from it?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 41-52.
- John Goddard & Hong Liu & Phil Molyneux & John O.S. Wilson, 2010. "Do Bank Profits Converge?," Working Papers 10004, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Shepherd, William G, 1986. "Tobin's q and the Structure-Performance Relationship: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1205-1210, December.
- Smirlock, Michael & Gilligan, Thomas & Marshall, William, 1984. "Tobin's q and the Structure-Performance Relationship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1051-1060, December.
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Phil & Wilson, John O S, 2004. "Dynamics of Growth and Profitability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(6), pages 1069-1090, December.
- Casu, Barbara & Girardone, Claudia, 2009. "Testing the relationship between competition and efficiency in banking: A panel data analysis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 134-137, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:40:y:2014:i:c:p:143-153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.