Conditional volatility and the informational efficiency of the PHLX currency options market
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- Poon, Ser-Huang & Taylor, Stephen J., 1992. "Stock returns and volatility: An empirical study of the UK stock market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 37-59, February.
- Baillie, Richard T. & DeGennaro, Ramon P., 1990. "Stock Returns and Volatility," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 203-214, June.
- Scott, Elton & Tucker, Alan L., 1989. "Predicting currency return volatility," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 839-851, December.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Chiras, Donald P. & Manaster, Steven, 1978. "The information content of option prices and a test of market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2-3), pages 213-234.
- Heynen, Ronald & Kemna, Angelien & Vorst, Ton, 1994. "Analysis of the Term Structure of Implied Volatilities," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(1), pages 31-56, March.
- Stein, Jeremy, 1989. " Overreactions in the Options Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 1011-1023, September.
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni & Whaley, Robert E, 1987. "Efficient Analytic Approximation of American Option Values," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 301-320, June.
- Xu, Xinzhong & Taylor, Stephen J., 1994. "The Term Structure of Volatility Implied by Foreign Exchange Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(1), pages 57-74, March.
- Canina, Linda & Figlewski, Stephen, 1993. "The Informational Content of Implied Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(3), pages 659-681.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1993. "Forecasting Stock-Return Variance: Toward an Understanding of Stochastic Implied Volatilities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 293-326.
- Shastri, Kuldeep & Tandon, Kishore, 1986. "An Empirical Test of a Valuation Model for American Options on Futures Contracts," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(4), pages 377-392, December.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L, 1995. "Finite-Sample Properties of the Maximum Likelihood Estimator in GARCH(1,1) and IGARCH(1,1) Models: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 1-10, January.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Akgiray, Vedat, 1989. "Conditional Heteroscedasticity in Time Series of Stock Returns: Evidence and Forecasts," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(1), pages 55-80, January.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Bronka Rzepkowski, 2001. "Pouvoir prédictif de la volatilité implicite dans le prix des options de change," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 148(2), pages 71-97.
- Holger Claessen & Stefan Mittnik, 2002.
"Forecasting stock market volatility and the informational efficiency of the DAX-index options market,"
The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 302-321.
- Claessen, Holger & Mittnik, Stefan, 2002. "Forecasting stock market volatility and the informational efficiency of the DAX-index options market," CFS Working Paper Series 2002/04, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Eric Renault, 1995.
CIRANO Working Papers
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," LIDAM Discussion Papers CORE 1995069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," Papers 95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- David S. Bates, 1995. "Testing Option Pricing Models," NBER Working Papers 5129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lim, Terence & Lo, Andrew W. & Merton, Robert C. & Scholes, Myron S., 2006. "The Derivatives Sourcebook," Foundations and Trends(R) in Finance, now publishers, vol. 1(5–6), pages 365-572, April.
- Neely, Christopher J., 2009.
"Forecasting foreign exchange volatility: Why is implied volatility biased and inefficient? And does it matter?,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 188-205, February.
- Christopher J. Neely, 2004. "Forecasting foreign exchange volatility: why is implied volatility biased and inefficient? and does it matter?," Working Papers 2002-017, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Wang, Alan T., 2007. "Does implied volatility of currency futures option imply volatility of exchange rates?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 374(2), pages 773-782.
- Cifarelli, giulio, 2002. "The information content of implied volatilities of options on eurodeposit futures traded on the LIFFE: is there long memory?," MPRA Paper 28538, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nobuya Takezawa & Noriyoshi Shiraishi, 1998. "A Note on the Term Structure of Implied Volatilities for the Yen/U.S. Dollar Currency Option," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer;Japanese Association of Financial Economics and Engineering, vol. 5(3), pages 227-236, November.
- Pilar Corredor Casado & Rafael Santamaría, "undated". "La estructura temporal de las volatilidades implícitas en la opción sobre el Ibex-35," Studies on the Spanish Economy 04, FEDEA.
- Alok Kumar Mishra & Siba Prasad Panda, 2016. "Looking into the relationship between implied and realized volatility: a study on S&P CNX Nifty index option," Eurasian Economic Review, Springer;Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 6(1), pages 67-96, April.
- Chuang, Wen-I & Huang, Teng-Ching & Lin, Bing-Huei, 2013. "Predicting volatility using the Markov-switching multifractal model: Evidence from S&P 100 index and equity options," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 168-187.
- Davidson, Wallace N. & Kim, Jin Kyoung & Ors, Evren & Szakmary, Andrew, 2001. "Using implied volatility on options to measure the relation between asset returns and variability," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1245-1269, July.
- Ahmed, Mohamed S. & Alhadab, Mohammad, 2020. "Momentum, asymmetric volatility and idiosyncratic risk-momentum relation: Does technology-sector matter?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 355-371.
- Fazal HUSAIN & Jamshed UPPAL, 1999.
"STOCK RETURNS VOLATILITY IN AN EMERGING MARKET: The Pakistani Evidence,"
Pakistan Journal of Applied Economics, Applied Economics Research Centre, vol. 15, pages 19-40.
- Husain, Fazal & UPPAL, Jamshed, 1999. "Stock Returns Volatility in an Emerging Market: The Pakistani Evidence," MPRA Paper 5270, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kiymaz, Halil & Berument, Hakan, 2003. "The day of the week effect on stock market volatility and volume: International evidence," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 363-380.
- Bali, Turan G. & Weinbaum, David, 2007. "A conditional extreme value volatility estimator based on high-frequency returns," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 361-397, February.
- Eugenie Hol & Siem Jan Koopman, 2000. "Forecasting the Variability of Stock Index Returns with Stochastic Volatility Models and Implied Volatility," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-104/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Robert F. Engle & Joshua Rosenberg, 1966.
"Testing the Volatility Term Structure Using Option Hedging Criteria,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
96-24, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Robert F. Engle & Joshua Rosenberg, 1998. "Testing the Volatility Term Structure using Option Hedging Criteria," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-031, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- J. -H. Chen & C. -Y. Huang, 2010. "An analysis of the spillover effects of exchange-traded funds," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(9), pages 1155-1168.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:19:y:1995:i:5:p:803-821. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nithya Sathishkumar). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.