The changing dynamics of Thai multinationals after the Asian economic crisis
This paper investigates the dynamic of Thai multinationals after the Asian economic crisis through the analysis of FDI statistics and two in-depth case studies. The paper concludes that there was a shift in the dynamic of Thai multinationals' international expansion. While the pre-crisis international expansion relied more on networking capabilities rather than industry-specific technological skills, the post-crisis adjustments of Thai multinationals displayed a different strategy that placed much more emphasis on strengthening their industry-specific technological capabilities. In particular, Thai multinationals have placed more emphasis and commitment to the development of industry-specific technological capabilities, as well as transforming their personalised, relationship-based networks to more transparent and formal ties. The paper bears implications on the emerging multinational literature. Unlike the incremental nature of their predecessors from East Asia, the rapid rise of Thai multinationals before 1997 bypassed gradual technological process through the use of networking capabilities. However, the sustainability of networks-based competitive advantages will depend on its flexibility to change, as well as its complementary role toward industry-specific technological capabilities.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jason Furman & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1998. "Economic Crises: Evidence and Insights from East Asia," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(2), pages 1-136.
- Otto Andersen, 1993. "On the Internationalization Process of Firms: A Critical Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(2), pages 209-231, June.
- Louis T. Wells, 1983. "Third World Multinationals: The Rise of Foreign Investments from Developing Countries," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026273169x, June.
- Peter J Buckley, 1988. "The Limits of Explanation: Testing the Internalization Theory of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 181-193, June.
- Lecraw, Donald J, 1977. "Direct Investment by Firms from Less Developed Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(3), pages 442-57, November.
- Mike Peng & Jessie Zhou, 2005. "How Network Strategies and Institutional Transitions Evolve in Asia," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 321-336, December.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj & Khanna, Tarun, 1998. "The Nature of Diversified Business Groups: A Research Design and Two Case Studies," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 35-61, March.
- Andrew H. Van de Ven, 2004. "The Context-Specific Nature of Competence and Corporate Development," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 21(1_2), pages 123-147, 03.
- Alice H. Amsden, 1995. "Like the rest: South‐East Asia's ‘LATE’ Industrialization," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(5), pages 791-799, 09.
- Ulgado, Francis M. & Yu, Chwo-Ming J. & Negandhi, Anant R., 1994. "Multinational enterprises from Asian developing countries: Management and organizational characteristics," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 123-133, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intman:v:13:y:2007:i:3:p:356-375. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.