Modeling patronage shift to a new entrant for predicting disproportionate losses for incumbent outlets
In a retail market where market competition is intensifying due to increases in the numbers of outlets, an understanding of patronage-shifting behavior is critical to improving the prediction accuracy of changes in the market shares of existing outlets. Our objective is to understand consumers’ patronage shift patterns in response to a new outlet. This study develops a patronage shift model by incorporating outlet characteristics which affect the choice set formation of consumers. Factors of interest to us are the accessibility of the new outlet, outlet awareness, and inter-outlet substitutability. An empirical analysis of the motion picture exhibition industry shows that (i) patronage loss is significantly disproportionate across incumbent movie theaters due to the asymmetric substitution effect, (ii) substitutability is more crucial than accessibility in accurately capturing disproportionate substitution patterns at the market level, (iii) the probability of a consumer being aware of a new theater increases gradually, (iv) modeling the growth pattern of outlet awareness plays a significant role in representing actual market responses more accurately, and (v) patronage patterns estimated by the proposed model from aggregate market share data are consistent with actual consumer responses.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manrai, Ajay K. & Andrews, Rick L., 1998. "Two-stage discrete choice models for scanner panel data: An assessment of process and assumptions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 193-215, December.
- Vishal P. Singh & Karsten T. Hansen & Robert C. Blattberg, 2006. "Market Entry and Consumer Behavior: An Investigation of a Wal-Mart Supercenter," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(5), pages 457-476, September.
- Geisel, Martin S. & Narasimhan, Chakravarthi & Sen, Subrata K., 1993. "Quantifying the competitive impact of a new entrant," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 263-277, March.
- Finn, Adam & Louviere, Jordan, 1990. "Shopping-center patronage models : Fashioning a consideration set segmentation solution," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 259-275, November.
- Aviv Nevo, 2003.
"Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry,"
- Nevo, Aviv, 2001. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 307-42, March.
- Aviv Nevo, 1998. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," NBER Working Papers 6387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nevo, Aviv, 1998. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-To-Eat Cereal Industry," Research Reports 25164, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Nevo, Aviv, 1998. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-To-Eat Cereal Industry," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 037, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Nevo, Aviv, 1999. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt7cm5p858, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Ting Zhu & Vishal Singh, 2009. "Spatial competition with endogenous location choices: An application to discount retailing," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 1-35, March.
- Jianan Wu & Arvind Rangaswamy, 2003. "A Fuzzy Set Model of Search and Consideration with an Application to an Online Market," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(3), pages 411-434, March.
- Bettman, James R & Luce, Mary Frances & Payne, John W, 1998. " Constructive Consumer Choice Processes," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(3), pages 187-217, December.
- Peter Davis, 2006. "Spatial competition in retail markets: movie theaters," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(4), pages 964-982, December.
- A. Stewart Fotheringham, 1988. "Note—Consumer Store Choice and Choice Set Definition," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(3), pages 299-310.
- Raphael Thomadsen, 2007. "Product Positioning and Competition: The Role of Location in the Fast Food Industry," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(6), pages 792-804, 11-12.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfor:v:28:y:2012:i:3:p:660-674. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.