Forecasting ATM cash demands using a local learning model of cerebellar associative memory network
Forecasting cash demands at automatic teller machines (ATMs) is challenging, due to the heteroskedastic nature of such time series. Conventional global learning computational intelligence (CI) models, with their generalized learning behaviors, may not capture the complex dynamics and time-varying characteristics of such real-life time series data efficiently. In this paper, we propose to use a novel local learning model of the pseudo self-evolving cerebellar model articulation controller (PSECMAC) associative memory network to produce accurate forecasts of ATM cash demands. As a computational model of the human cerebellum, our model can incorporate local learning to effectively model the complex dynamics of heteroskedastic time series. We evaluated the forecasting performance of our PSECMAC model against the performances of current established CI and regression models using the NN5 competition dataset of 111 empirical daily ATM cash withdrawal series. The evaluation results show that the forecasting capability of our PSECMAC model exceeds that of the benchmark local and global-learning based models.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kuan, Chung-Ming & Liu, Tung, 1995. "Forecasting Exchange Rates Using Feedforward and Recurrent Neural Networks," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 347-64, Oct.-Dec..
- De Gooijer, Jan G. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2006. "25 years of time series forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 443-473.
- de Menezes, Lilian M. & Nikolaev, Nikolay Y., 2006. "Forecasting with genetically programmed polynomial neural networks," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 249-265.
- Balkin, Sandy D. & Ord, J. Keith, 2000. "Automatic neural network modeling for univariate time series," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 509-515.
- Terasvirta, Timo & van Dijk, Dick & Medeiros, Marcelo C., 2005.
"Linear models, smooth transition autoregressions, and neural networks for forecasting macroeconomic time series: A re-examination,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 755-774.
- Timo Teräsvirta & Dick van Dijk & Marcelo Cunha Medeiros, 2004. "Linear models, smooth transition autoregressions and neural networks for forecasting macroeconomic time series: A reexamination," Textos para discussão 485, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Teräsvirta, Timo & van Dijk, Dick & Medeiros, Marcelo, 2004. "Linear models, smooth transition autoregressions, and neural networks for forecasting macroeconomic time series: A re-examination," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 561, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 04 Nov 2004.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfor:v:27:y::i:3:p:760-776. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.