International tax arbitrage, currency options and put-call parity conditions
Using a finite-horizon general equilibrium model with uncertainty and money, we characterize situations where tax arbitrage opportunities may arise for international portfolio investors in an economy with heterogeneous capital income taxation where foreign currency exposure can be hedged using forward contracts and a set of currency options. We obtain tax-modified option prices similar to the no-tax ones, but augmented by tax-induced “risk-premium” terms; tax-modified put-call parity conditions are derived that revert to their standard (no-tax) format if the respective marginal agents in the bond and option markets are in identical tax brackets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 22 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Strobel, F., 1998.
"International Tax Arbitrage Tax Evasion amd Interest Parity Conditions,"
98-05, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Strobel, Frank, 2001. "International tax arbitrage, tax evasion and interest parity conditions," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 413-427, December.
- Orlin J. Grabbe, . "The Pricing of Call and Put Options on Foreign Exchange," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 06-83, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 1989. "Tests of covered interest rate parity," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 55-66.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1985.
"Bank deregulation, accounting systems of exchange, and the unit of account: A critical review,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 13-45, January.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1985. "Bank Deregulation, Accounting Systems of Exchange, and the Unit of Account: A Critical Review," NBER Working Papers 1572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dammon, Robert M & Green, Richard C, 1987. " Tax Arbitrage and the Existence of Equilibrium Prices for Financial Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(5), pages 1143-66, December.
- Frank Strobel, 2005. "International tax arbitrage, financial parity conditions and preferential capital gains taxation," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 219-226.
- De Vries, C.G. & Leuven, K.U., 1994. "Stylized Facts of Nominal Exchange Rate Returns," Papers 94-002, Purdue University, Krannert School of Management - Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER).
- Turnbull, Stuart M & Milne, Frank, 1991. "A Simple Approach to Interest-Rate Option Pricing," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(1), pages 87-120.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. " Tax Clienteles and Asset Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 751-62, July.
- Radner, Roy, 1972. "Existence of Equilibrium of Plans, Prices, and Price Expectations in a Sequence of Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 289-303, March.
- Aivazian, Varouj A & Callen, Jeffrey L, 1987. " Miller's Irrelevance Mechanism: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 169-80, March.
- Scholes, Myron, 1976. "Taxes and the Pricing of Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 319-32, May.
- Orlin J. Grabbe, . "The Pricing of Call and Put Options on Foreign Exchange," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 6-83, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1987. "Arbitrage and Martingales with Taxation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 371-93, April.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
- Orlin Grabbe, J., 1983. "The pricing of call and put options on foreign exchange," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 239-253, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfin:v:22:y:2012:i:3:p:473-486. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.