The loss leader is a turkey: Targeted discounts from multi-product competitors
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Glenn Ellison, 2005. "A Model of Add-On Pricing," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(2), pages 585-637.
- Christopher M. Snyder, 1996. "A Dynamic Theory of Countervailing Power," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(4), pages 747-769, Winter.
- Suchan Chae & Paul Heidhues, 1999. "Bargaining Power of a Coalition in Parallel Bargaining: Advantage of Multiple Cable System Operators," CIG Working Papers FS IV 99-01, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- DeGraba, Patrick, 1995. "Characterizing Solutions of Supermodular Games; Intuitive Comparative Statics, and Unique Equilibria," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 5(1), pages 181-188, January.
- Judith A. Chevalier & Anil K. Kashyap & Peter E. Rossi, 2003.
"Why Don't Prices Rise During Periods of Peak Demand? Evidence from Scanner Data,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 15-37, March.
- Judith A. Chevalier & Anil K. Kashyap & Peter E. Rossi, 2000. "Why Don't Prices Rise During Periods of Peak Demand? Evidence from Scanner Data," NBER Working Papers 7981, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter E. Rossi & Judith A. Chevalier & Anil K. Kashyap, 2002. "Why Don't Prices Rise During Periods of Peak Demand? Evidence from Scanner Data," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm291, Yale School of Management.
- Elizabeth J. Warner & Robert B. Barsky, 1995. "The Timing and Magnitude of Retail Store Markdowns: Evidence from Weekends and Holidays," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 321-352.
- James D. Hess & Eitan Gerstner, 1987. "Loss Leader Pricing and Rain Check Policy," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(4), pages 358-374.
- Stole, Lars A & Zwiebel, Jeffrey, 1996. "Organizational Design and Technology Choice under Intrafirm Bargaining," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 195-222, March.
- Tasneem Chipty & Christopher M. Snyder, 1999. "The Role Of Firm Size In Bilateral Bargaining: A Study Of The Cable Television Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 326-340, May.
- MacDonald, James M, 2000. "Demand, Information, and Competition: Why Do Food Prices Fall at Seasonal Demand Peaks?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 27-45, March.
- Snyder, Christopher M., 1998. "Why do larger buyers pay lower prices? Intense supplier competition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 205-209, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- P. J. Glandon & Matthew Jaremski, 2014. "Sales and Firm Entry: The Case of Wal-Mart," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 168-192, July.
- Zhijun Chen & Patrick Rey, 2019.
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 50(3), pages 645-665, September.
- Chen, Zhijun & Rey, Patrick, 2013. "Competitive Cross-Subsidization," IDEI Working Papers 27776, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Zhijun Chen & Patrick Rey, 2016. "Competitive Cross-Subsidization," Monash Economics Working Papers 24-16, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Zhijun & Rey, Patrick, 2013. "Competitive Cross-Subsidization," TSE Working Papers 13-450, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Nov 2018.
- Witness Simbanegavi, 2008.
"Loss leader or low margin leader? Advertising and the degree of product differentiation,"
105, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Simbanegavi, Witness, 2008. "Loss leader or low margin leader? Advertising and the degree of product differentiation," MPRA Paper 9694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:kap:qmktec:v:13:y:2015:i:1:d:10.1007_s11129-015-9154-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Noriaki Matsushima & Akira Miyaoka, 2013. "Who benefits from resale-below-cost laws?," ISER Discussion Paper 0875, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Rhodes, Andrew, 2011. "Multiproduct pricing and the Diamond Paradox," MPRA Paper 32511, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- In, Younghwan & Wright, Julian, 2014. "Loss-leader pricing and upgrades," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 19-22.
- Vanessa von Schlippenbach, 2008. "Complementarities, Below-Cost Pricing, and Welfare Losses," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 788, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Widmar, Nicole J. Olynk & Byrd, Elizabeth S. & Wolf, Christopher A. & Acharya, Lalatendu, 2016. "Health Consciousness and Consumer Preferences for Holiday Turkey Attributes," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 47(2), pages 1-15, July.
- Robert Innes & Stephen F. Hamilton, 2009. "Vertical restraints and horizontal control," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(1), pages 120-143, March.
- Piramuthu, Selwyn & Wochner, Sina & Grunow, Martin, 2014. "Should retail stores also RFID-tag ‘cheap’ items?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 233(1), pages 281-291.
- Lahmandi-Ayed, Rim, 2010. "Spatial differentiation, divisible consumption and the pro-competitive effect of income," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 71-85, January.
- Shelegia, Sandro, 2012. "Multiproduct pricing in oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 231-242.
- Antonio Rosato, 2016.
"Selling substitute goods to loss-averse consumers: limited availability, bargains, and rip-offs,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 47(3), pages 709-733, August.
- Rosato, Antonio, 2013. "Selling Substitute Goods to Loss-Averse Consumers: Limited Availability, Bargains and Rip-offs," MPRA Paper 47168, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ersoy, Fulya Yuksel & Hasker, Kevin & Inci, Eren, 2016. "Parking as a loss leader at shopping malls," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 98-112.
- Azar, Ofer H., 2010. "Can more consumers lead to lower profits? A model of multi-product competition," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 184-195, November.
- Lan, Hao & Lloyd, Tim A. & Morgan, C. Wyn, 2013. "The hazard function of sales: An analysis of UK supermarket food prices," 87th Annual Conference, April 8-10, 2013, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 151972, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Justin P. Johnson, 2017. "Unplanned Purchases and Retail Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 107(3), pages 931-965, March.
- Azar, Ofer H., 2014.
"Optimal strategy of multi-product retailers with relative thinking and reference prices,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 130-140.
- Ofer H. Azar, 2013. "Optimal Strategy Of Multi-Product Retailers With Relative Thinking And Reference Prices," Working Papers 1313, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Azar, Ofer H., 2013. "Competitive strategy when consumers are affected by reference prices," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 327-340.
- repec:eee:joinma:v:41:y:2018:i:c:p:28-43 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:24:y:2006:i:3:p:613-628. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.