The effects of the degree of internationalization on firm performance
This study developed and tested a model that attempts to describe the influence of internationalization on firm performance. Degree of internationalization was measured by foreign revenues/total revenues. Results based on data from a cross-sectional set of U.S. multinational firms find evidence of a nonmonotonic relationship between degree of internationalization and firm performance. The rate of return on assets declines, then increases, and finally decreases slightly as the degree of internationalization increases.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 7 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wi Saeng Kim & Esmeralda O Lyn, 1990. "FDI Theories and the Performance of Foreign Multinationals Operating in the U.S," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 41-54, March.
- J Markham Collins, 1990. "A Market Performance Comparison of U.S. Firms Active in Domestic, Developed and Developing Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(2), pages 271-287, June.
- John H Dunning, 1995. "Reappraising the Eclectic Paradigm in an Age of Alliance Capitalism," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 461-491, September.
- Alan Rugman, 1980. "Internalization as a general theory of foreign direct investment: A re-appraisal of the literature," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 365-379, June.
- Israel Shaked, 1986. "Are Multinational Corporations Safer?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(1), pages 83-106, March.
- Hughes, John S. & Logue, Dennis E. & Sweeney, Richard James, 1975. "Corporate International Diversification and Market Assigned Measures of Risk and Diversification," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(04), pages 627-637, November.
- Kannan Ramaswamy & K Galen Kroeck & William Renforth, 1996. "Measuring the Degree of Internationalization of a firm: A Comment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(1), pages 167-177, March.
- Morck, R. & Yeung, B., 1991.
"Why Investors Value Multinationality,"
282, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Daniel Sullivan, 1994. "Measuring the Degree of Internationalization of a Firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 325-342, June.
- Robert M Grant, 1987. "Multinationality and Performance among British Manufacturing Companies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(3), pages 79-89, September.
- Siddharthan, N S & Lall, Sanjaya, 1982. "The Recent Growth of the Largest U.S. Multinationals," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 44(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Will Mitchell & J Myles Shaver & Bernard Yeung, 1993. "Performance Following Changes of International Presence in Domestic and Transition Industries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 647-669, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:7:y:1998:i:3:p:315-321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.