Longitudinal study of exporters and nonexporters: A focus on smaller manufacturing enterprises
Many smaller manufacturing enterprises are reluctant to export even though, since the late 1960s, governments have attempted to stimulate them to export. Numerous studies have examined the reluctance to export as a point-in-time phenomenon. This study examines the differences between exporting and nonexporting smaller manufacturing enterprises over the past 20Â years using the same research methodology and conceptual and theoretical foundation. The results of this study are encouraging and clearly indicate significant changes over the past 20Â years between exporting and nonexporting SMEs. They suggest that over the past 20Â years exporters in the study are externally oriented and nonexporters remain internally oriented. These findings have important implications for export development efforts of both governments and managers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 7 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Warren J Bilkey, 1978. "An Attempted Integration of the Literature on the Export Behavior of Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer & Naor, Jacob, 1987. "Firm and management characteristics as discriminators of export marketing activity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 221-235, June.
- Warren J Bilkey & George Tesar, 1977. "The Export Behavior of Smaller-Sized Wisconsin Manufacturing Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 93-98, March.
- Czinkota, Michael R. & Ursic, Michael, 1991. "Classification of exporting firms according to sales and growth into a share matrix," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 243-253, May.
- Koh, Anthony C. & Robicheaux, Robert A., 1988. "Variations in export performance due to differences in export marketing strategy: Implications for industrial marketers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 249-258, November.
- Haar, Jerry & Ortiz-Buonafina, Marta, 1995. "The internationalization process and marketing activities : The case of Brazilian export firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 175-181, February.
- Erwin Dichtl & Hans-Georg Koeglmayr & Stefan Mueller, 1990. "International Orientation as a Precondition for Export Success," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 23-40, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:7:y:1998:i:3:p:291-313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.