Use of export marketing research by industrial firms: an application and extension of Deshpande and Zaltman's model
The issue of information utilisation within an export setting has been neglected in the literature as most studies focus on the acquisition of export marketing research information rather than its actual use. In this paper, an expanded version of Deshpande and Zaltman's well-known model of information use is developed by incorporating export-specific variables, and subsequently applied to a sample of UK exporters. The analysis reveals that information use depends on the firm's internal structure, the degree of surprise in the research results, and the nature of the export market in question. The findings are placed in the context of previous evidence on marketing research information use and directions for future studies identified.
Volume (Year): 6 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Emile Denis & Daniel Depelteau, 1985. "Market Knowledge, Diversification and Export Expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 16(3), pages 77-89, September.
- Piercy, Nigel F., 1989. "Information control and the power and politics of marketing," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 229-243, May.
- Sinkula, James M., 1990. "Perceived characteristics, organizational factors, and the utilization of external market research suppliers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-17, August.
- Sood, James H. & Adams, Patrick, 1984. "Model of management learning styles as a predictor of export behavior and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 169-182, June.
- Bellenger, Danny N., 1979. "The marketing manager's view of Marketing research," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 59-65, June.
- Sinkula, James M. & Hampton, Ronald D., 1988. "Centralization and information acquisition by in-house market research departments," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 337-349, June.
- Rashi Glazer & Joel H. Steckel & Russell S. Winer, 1992. "Locally Rational Decision Making: The Distracting Effect of Information on Managerial Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(2), pages 212-226, February.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1984. "Differences among exporting firms based on their degree of internationalization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 195-208, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:6:y:1997:i:3:p:245-270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.