Strategic advantages of japanese electronics firms and the scale of their subsidiaries in the US and Canada
Using data of Japanese electronics firms that have foreign direct investment (FDI) in the United States and Canada, this study employed a causal modeling framework to test hypotheses regarding the influence of firms' strategic advantages on the scale of their foreign subsidiaries. Our results showed that, in the United States, both strategic advantages and international management capabilities of parent firms influenced the scale of their subsidiaries. In Canada, only international management capabilities of parent firms directly influenced the scale of their subsidiaries. The paper concludes with a discussion of the policy and strategic implications of the results of the study.
Volume (Year): 4 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ursacki, Terry & Vertinsky, Ilan, 1992. "Choice of entry timing and scale by foreign banks in Japan and Korea," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 405-421, April.
- Yui Kimura, 1989. "Firm-Specific Strategic Advantages and Foreign Direct Investments Behavior of Firms: The Case of Japanese Semiconductor Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 20(2), pages 296-314, June.
- William H Davidson, 1980. "The Location of Foreign Direct Investment Activity: Country Characteristics and Experience Effects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 11(2), pages 9-22, June.
- Caves, R.E., 1993. "Japanese Investments in the United States: Lessons for the Economic Analysis of Foreign Investment," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1652, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Grubaugh, Stephen G, 1987. "Determinants of Direct Foreign Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 149-152, February.
- Chwo-Ming J Yu & Kiyohiko Ito, 1988. "Oligopolistic Reaction and Foreign Direct Investment: The Case of the U.S. Tire and Textiles Industries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 19(3), pages 449-460, September.
- Teece, David J, 1985. "Multinational Enterprise, Internal Governance, and Industrial Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 233-238, May.
- Vern Terpstra & Chwo-Ming Yu, 1988. "Determinants of Foreign Investment of U.S. Advertising Agencies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 19(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Alan Rugman, 1980. "Internalization as a general theory of foreign direct investment: A re-appraisal of the literature," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 116(2), pages 365-379, June.
- Dunning, John H, 1973. "The Determinants of International Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 289-336, November.
- Kogut, Bruce & Chang, Sea Jin, 1991. "Technological Capabilities and Japanese Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 401-413, August.
- Jean-François Hennart & Young-Ryeol Park, 1993. "Greenfield vs. Acquisition: The Strategy of Japanese Investors in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(9), pages 1054-1070, September.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Monopolistic Advantages and Foreign Involvement by U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 102-122, March.
- Thomas A. Pugel, 1981. "The determinants of foreign direct investment: An analysis of US manufacturing industries," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(4), pages 220-228, December.
- Horst, Thomas, 1972. "Firm and Industry Determinants of the Decision to Invest Abroad: An Empirical Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 258-266, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:4:y:1995:i:3:p:373-386. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.