Who cares about cost? Does economic analysis impose or reflect social values?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Wagstaff, Adam, 1991. "QALYs and the equity-efficiency trade-off," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 21-41, May.
- Nord, Erik & Richardson, Jeff & Street, Andrew & Kuhse, Helga & Singer, Peter, 1995. "Maximizing health benefits vs egalitarianism: An Australian survey of health issues," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(10), pages 1429-1437, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amitabh Chandra & Anupam B. Jena & Jonathan S. Skinner, 2011.
"The Pragmatist's Guide to Comparative Effectiveness Research,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 27-46, Spring.
- Amitabh Chandra & Anupam B. Jena & Jonathan S. Skinner, 2011. "The Pragmatist's Guide to Comparative Effectiveness Research," NBER Working Papers 16990, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gold, Marthe Rachel & Franks, Peter & Siegelberg, Taryn & Sofaer, Shoshanna, 2007. "Does providing cost-effectiveness information change coverage priorities for citizens acting as social decision makers?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 65-72, September.
- Jeremiah Hurley & Neil Buckley & Katherine Cuff & Mita Giacomini & David Cameron, 2011. "Judgments regarding the fair division of goods: the impact of verbal versus quantitative descriptions of alternative divisions," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 37(2), pages 341-372, July.
- Jeffrey R. J. Richardson & Jan Abel Olsen, 2006. "In defence of societal sovereignty: a comment on Nyman 'the inclusion of survivor consumption in CUA'," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 311-313.
- Sinclair, Shane & Hagen, Neil A. & Chambers, Carole & Manns, Braden & Simon, Anita & Browman, George P., 2008. "Accounting for reasonableness: Exploring the personal internal framework affecting decisions about cancer drug funding," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 86(2-3), pages 381-390, May.
- Takeru Shiroiwa & Shinya Saito & Kojiro Shimozuma & Satoshi Kodama & Shinichi Noto & Takashi Fukuda, 2016. "Societal Preferences for Interventions with the Same Efficiency: Assessment and Application to Decision Making," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 375-385, June.
- Gu, Yuanyuan & Lancsar, Emily & Ghijben, Peter & Butler, James RG & Donaldson, Cam, 2015. "Attributes and weights in health care priority setting: A systematic review of what counts and to what extent," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 146(C), pages 41-52.
- repec:spr:pharmo:v:1:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s41669-016-0002-3 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mortimer, Duncan & Peacock, Stuart, 2012. "Social welfare and the Affordable Care Act: Is it ever optimal to set aside comparative cost?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(7), pages 1156-1162.
- Joanna Coast, 2001. "Citizens, their agents and health care rationing: an exploratory study using qualitative methods," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 159-174.
- Ubel, Peter A. & Richardson, Jeff & Baron, Jonathan, 2002. "Exploring the role of order effects in person trade-off elicitations," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 189-199, August.
- Richardson, Jeff & Sinha, Kompal & Iezzi, Angelo & Maxwell, Aimee, 2012. "Maximising health versus sharing: Measuring preferences for the allocation of the health budget," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(8), pages 1351-1361.
- Peter A. Ubel & Jeff Richardson & Paul Menzel, 2000. "Societal value, the person trade-off, and the dilemma of whose values to measure for cost-effectiveness analysis," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 127-136.
- John A. Nyman, 2006. "More on survival consumption costs in cost-utility analysis," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 319-322.
- Richardson, Jeff & McKie, John, 2007. "Economic evaluation of services for a National Health Scheme: The case for a fairness-based framework," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 785-799, July.
- Coast, Joanna, 2009. "Maximisation in extra-welfarism: A critique of the current position in health economics," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 786-792, September.
- Richardson, Jeff & McKie, John, 2005. "Empiricism, ethics and orthodox economic theory: what is the appropriate basis for decision-making in the health sector?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 265-275, January.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hepoli:v:34:y:1995:i:2:p:79-94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu) or (). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/healthpol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.