Consolidation and concentration in the German hospital market: The two sides of the coin
In many countries, policy makers try to increase quality and efficiency in the hospital sector by fostering competition. The German hospital market is a good example of this approach and the challenges that come with it. We focus on market concentration which is both a result of and a potential threat to more competition.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shiell, Alan, 1991. "Competing hospitals: Assessing the impact of self-governing status in the United Kingdom," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 141-158, December.
- Gaynor, Martin & Vogt, William B., 2000.
"Antitrust and competition in health care markets,"
Handbook of Health Economics,
in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 27, pages 1405-1487
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, . "Antitrust and Competition in Health Care Markets," GSIA Working Papers 1999-E29, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, 1999. "Antitrust and Competition in Health Care Markets," NBER Working Papers 7112, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schut, Frederik T. & Greenberg, Warren & van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M., 1991. "Antitrust policy in the Dutch health care system and the relevance of EEC competition policy and U.S. antitrust practice," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 257-284, April.
- David M. Cutler, 2002. "Equality, Efficiency, and Market Fundamentals: The Dynamics of International Medical-Care Reform," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 881-906, September.
- R. Halbersma & M. Mikkers & E. Motchenkova & I. Seinen, 2011.
"Market structure and hospital–insurer bargaining in the Netherlands,"
The European Journal of Health Economics,
Springer, vol. 12(6), pages 589-603, December.
- Halbersma, R.S. & Mikkers, M.C. & Motchenkova, E., 2007. "Market Structure and Hospital-Insurer bargaining in the Netherlands," Serie Research Memoranda 0004, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Halbersma, R.S. & Mikkers, M.C. & Motchenkova, E. & Seinen, I., 2007. "Market Structure and Hospital-Insurer Bargaining in the Netherlands," Discussion Paper 2007-006, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Varkevisser, Marco & Capps, Cory S. & Schut, Frederik T., 2008. "Defining hospital markets for antitrust enforcement: new approaches and their applicability to The Netherlands," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 7-29, January.
- Town, Robert & Vistnes, Gregory, 2001. "Hospital competition in HMO networks," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 733-753, September.
- Martin Gaynor, 2006.
"What Do We know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
06/151, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Martin Gaynor, . "What Do We Know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?," GSIA Working Papers 2006-E62, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Martin Gaynor, 2006. "What Do We Know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?," NBER Working Papers 12301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cutler, David, 2002. "Equality, Efficiency, and Market Fundamentals: The Dynamics of International Medical Care Reform," Scholarly Articles 2640584, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Annika Herr, 2008. "Cost and technical efficiency of German hospitals: does ownership matter?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(9), pages 1057-1071.
- Melnick, Glenn & Keeler, Emmett, 2007. "The effects of multi-hospital systems on hospital prices," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 400-413, March.
- Boutsioli, Zoe, 2007. "Concentration in the Greek private hospital sector: A descriptive analysis," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 212-225, July.
- Zwanziger, Jack & Melnick, Glenn A. & Mann, Joyce M., 1990. "Measures of hospital market structure: a review of the alternatives and a proposed approach," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 81-95.
- Marco Varkevisser & Stéphanie Geest & Frederik Schut, 2010. "Assessing hospital competition when prices don’t matter to patients: the use of time-elasticities," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 43-60, March.
- Chen, Chi-Chen & Cheng, Shou-Hsia, 2010. "Hospital competition and patient-perceived quality of care: Evidence from a single-payer system in Taiwan," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 65-73, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hepoli:v:109:y:2013:i:3:p:301-310. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)or ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.