Intraday volatility and scaling in high frequency foreign exchange markets
Recent reports suggest that the stochastic process underlying financial time series is nonstationary with nonstationary increments. Therefore, time averaging techniques through sliding intervals are inappropriate and ensemble methods have been proposed. Using daily ensemble averages we analyze two different measures of intraday volatility, trading frequency and the mean square fluctuation of increments for the three most active FX markets; we find that both measures indicate that the underlying stochastic dynamics exhibits nonstationary increments. We show that the two volatility measures are equivalent. In each market we find three time intervals during the day where the mean square fluctuation of increments can be fit by power law scaling in time. The scaling indices in the intervals are different, but independent of the FX market under study. We also find that the fluctuations in return in these intervals lie on exponential distributions.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bassler, Kevin E. & Gunaratne, Gemunu H. & McCauley, Joseph L., 2008. "Empirically based modeling in financial economics and beyond, and spurious stylized facts," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 767-783, December.
- Gunaratne, Gemunu H. & Nicol, Matthew & Seemann, Lars & Török, Andrei, 2009. "Clustering of volatility in variable diffusion processes," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(20), pages 4424-4430.
- A. Christian Silva & Richard E. Prange & Victor M. Yakovenko, 2004. "Exponential distribution of financial returns at mesoscopic time lags: a new stylized fact," Papers cond-mat/0401225, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2004.
- Kevin E. Bassler & Gemunu H. Gunaratne & Joseph L. McCauley, 2006. "Markov Processes, Hurst Exponents, and Nonlinear Diffusion Equations with application to finance," Papers cond-mat/0602316, arXiv.org.
- Parameswaran Gopikrishnan & Vasiliki Plerou & Luis A. Nunes Amaral & Martin Meyer & H. Eugene Stanley, 1999. "Scaling of the distribution of fluctuations of financial market indices," Papers cond-mat/9905305, arXiv.org.
- Joseph L. McCauley, 2008. "Time vs. Ensemble Averages for Nonstationary Time Series," Papers 0804.0902, arXiv.org.
- Gopikrishnan, P & Plerou, V & Liu, Y & Amaral, L.A.N & Gabaix, X & Stanley, H.E, 2000. "Scaling and correlation in financial time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 362-373.
- Xu, Zhaoxia & Gençay, Ramazan, 2003. "Scaling, self-similarity and multifractality in FX markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 323(C), pages 578-590.
- Baviera, Roberto & Pasquini, Michele & Serva, Maurizio & Vergni, Davide & Vulpiani, Angelo, 2001. "Correlations and multi-affinity in high frequency financial datasets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 300(3), pages 551-557.
- Richard B. Olsen & Ulrich A. Müller & Michel M. Dacorogna & Olivier V. Pictet & Rakhal R. Davé & Dominique M. Guillaume, 1997. "From the bird's eye to the microscope: A survey of new stylized facts of the intra-daily foreign exchange markets (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 95-129.
- Silva, A. Christian & Prange, Richard E. & Yakovenko, Victor M., 2004. "Exponential distribution of financial returns at mesoscopic time lags: a new stylized fact," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 227-235.
- Oomen, Roel C.A., 2006. "Properties of Realized Variance Under Alternative Sampling Schemes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 219-237, April.
- Silva, A. Christian & Yakovenko, Victor M., 2007. "Stochastic volatility of financial markets as the fluctuating rate of trading: An empirical study," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 382(1), pages 278-285.
- Gabriele Galati & Alexandra Heath, 2007. "What drives the growth in FX activity? Interpreting the 2007 triennial survey," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Christian T. Brownlees & Giampiero Gallo, 2006.
"Financial Econometric Analysis at Ultra–High Frequency: Data Handling Concerns,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2006_03, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Brownlees, C.T. & Gallo, G.M., 2006. "Financial econometric analysis at ultra-high frequency: Data handling concerns," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2232-2245, December.
- Thierry Ané & Hélyette Geman, 2000. "Order Flow, Transaction Clock, and Normality of Asset Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2259-2284, October.
- Zhou, Bin, 1996. "High-Frequency Data and Volatility in Foreign-Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(1), pages 45-52, January.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
- Bassler, Kevin E. & Gunaratne, Gemunu H. & McCauley, Joseph L., 2006. "Markov processes, Hurst exponents, and nonlinear diffusion equations: With application to finance," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 369(2), pages 343-353.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & J. Doyne Farmer & Fabrizio Lillo, 2008. "How markets slowly digest changes in supply and demand," Papers 0809.0822, arXiv.org.
- Galluccio, S. & Caldarelli, G. & Marsili, M. & Zhang, Y.-C., 1997. "Scaling in currency exchange," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 245(3), pages 423-436.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- McCauley, Joseph L., 2008. "Time vs. ensemble averages for nonstationary time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(22), pages 5518-5522.
- Jim Griffin & Roel Oomen, 2008. "Sampling Returns for Realized Variance Calculations: Tick Time or Transaction Time?," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1-3), pages 230-253.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finana:v:20:y:2011:i:3:p:121-126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.