Bubbles in China
This study examines rational bubbles in Chinese stock markets and China-related share indices in Hong Kong. A duration dependence test is employed for both monthly and weekly abnormal market returns of the Shanghai and Shenzhen A- and B-markets, as well as for the Hong Kong China Enterprises and China Affiliated Corporations indices. The test results are mixed, as weekly data demonstrate bubbles for all of the Mainland Chinese stock markets, but monthly data do not show bubbles for any of the examined markets. Neither of the datasets indicates bubbles in the Hong Kong markets. Results indicate that, in terms of bubbles, segmentation does not play a significant role in bubble existence and that the stock markets of Mainland China behave similarly but cannot be compared directly to the more developed markets of Hong Kong. In the light of the results, the argument that the duration dependence test is sensitive to the use of weekly versus monthly data can be generalized to emerging markets. This must be taken into account when the method is employed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P., 1999. "Moral hazard, asset price bubbles, capital flows, and the East Asian crisis:: the first tests," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 637-657, August.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Huang, Wei, 2007. "Asset pricing in China's domestic stock markets: Is there a logic?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 452-480, November.
- M. Kabir Hassan & Jung Suk-Yu, 2007. "Rational Speculative Bubbles: An Empirical Investigation of the Middle East and North African Stock Markets," NFI Working Papers 2007-WP-31, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Koustas, Zisimos & Serletis, Apostolos, 2005. "Rational bubbles or persistent deviations from market fundamentals?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2523-2539, October.
- John Fernald & John H. Rogers, 1998.
"Puzzles in the Chinese stock market,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
619, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tan, Lin & Chiang, Thomas C. & Mason, Joseph R. & Nelling, Edward, 2008. "Herding behavior in Chinese stock markets: An examination of A and B shares," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 61-77, January.
- Bing Zhang, 2008. "Duration dependence test for rational bubbles in Chinese stock market," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(8), pages 635-639.
- Cunado, J. & Gil-Alana, L.A. & de Gracia, F. Perez, 2005. "A test for rational bubbles in the NASDAQ stock index: A fractionally integrated approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2633-2654, October.
- Ehsan Ahmed & Honggang Li & J. Barkley Rosser, 2006. "Nonlinear bubbles in Chinese Stock Markets in the 1990s," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 32(1), pages 1-18, Winter.
- Yvette Harman & Thomas Zuehlke, 2004. "Duration dependence testing for speculative bubbles," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 147-154, June.
- Refet S. Gürkaynak, 2008.
"Econometric Tests Of Asset Price Bubbles: Taking Stock ,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 166-186, 02.
- Refet Gurkaynak, 2005. "Econometric Tests of Asset Price Bubbles: Taking Stock," Finance 0504008, EconWPA.
- Refet S. Gürkaynak, 2005. "Econometric tests of asset price bubbles: taking stock," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Qiao, Zhuo & Chiang, Thomas C. & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2008. "Long-run equilibrium, short-term adjustment, and spillover effects across Chinese segmented stock markets and the Hong Kong stock market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 425-437, December.
- Jacobsen, Brian J. & Liu, Xiaochun, 2008. "China's segmented stock market: An application of the conditional international capital asset pricing model," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 153-173, September.
- McQueen, Grant & Thorley, Steven, 1994. "Bubbles, Stock Returns, and Duration Dependence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(03), pages 379-401, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finana:v:19:y:2010:i:2:p:113-117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.