Dynamic betas for Canadian sector portfolios
The dynamic betas for ten Canadian sector portfolios using the Kalman filter approach are estimated herein and are found to be best described by a mix of the random walk (trend) and mean-reverting (cycle) processes. The relative importance of the trend and cycle components of sector betas is related to different sensitivities of the corresponding sectors to business cycles. Dynamic betas significantly increase the explanatory power of the market model, and particularly for the utilities sector. A dynamic hedging strategy using the one-step-ahead beta forecasts as the hedge ratios produces smaller hedging errors for every sector compared with the hedge ratios calculated from the alternative beta specifications.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Sunder, Shyam, 1980. " Stationarity of Market Risk: Random Coefficients Tests for Individual Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(4), pages 883-96, September.
- Chang-Jin Kim & Charles R. Nelson, 1999. "State-Space Models with Regime Switching: Classical and Gibbs-Sampling Approaches with Applications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262112388, December.
- G. William Schwert & Paul J. Seguin, 1989.
"Heteroskedasticity in Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
2956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sascha Mergner & Jan Bulla, 2005.
"Time-varying Beta Risk of Pan-European Industry Portfolios: A Comparison of Alternative Modeling Techniques,"
- Sascha Mergner & Jan Bulla, 2008. "Time-varying beta risk of Pan-European industry portfolios: A comparison of alternative modeling techniques," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 771-802.
- Abdul Rahman & Lawrence Kryzanowski & Ah Boon Sim, 1987. "Systematic Risk In A Purely Random Market Model: Some Empirical Evidence For Individual Public Utilities," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 10(2), pages 143-152, 06.
- Tobias Adrian & Francesco Franzoni, 2008.
"Learning about beta: time-varying factor loadings, expected returns, and the conditional CAPM,"
193, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Adrian, Tobias & Franzoni, Francesco, 2009. "Learning about beta: Time-varying factor loadings, expected returns, and the conditional CAPM," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 537-556, September.
- Francesco FRANZONI & Tobias ADRIAN, . "Learning about Beta: Time-Varying Factor Loadings, Expected Returns,and the Conditional CAPM," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 08-36, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Franzoni, Francesco & Adrian, Tobias, 2005. "Learning about Beta: time-varying factor loadings, expected returns and the conditional CAPM," Les Cahiers de Recherche 828, HEC Paris.
- Fabozzi, Frank J. & Francis, Jack Clark, 1978. "Beta as a Random Coefficient," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 101-116, March.
- Robert W. Faff & David Hillier & Joseph Hillier, 2000. "Time Varying Beta Risk: An Analysis of Alternative Modelling Techniques," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5&6), pages 523-554.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1997. "Industry costs of equity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 153-193, February.
- Jostova, Gergana & Philipov, Alexander, 2005. "Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Betas," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(04), pages 747-778, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finana:v:17:y:2008:i:5:p:1110-1122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.