Socioeconomic conditions, health and mortality from birth to adulthood, Alghero 1866-1925
This paper examines the impact of socioeconomic conditions on health and mortality between birth and adulthood within the Sardinian community of Alghero, based on data from civil registers and military conscription lists for the period 1866-1925. Socioeconomic status does prove to have a significant effect on chances of survival especially in infancy and late childhood, although no clear trend in mortality differentials by SES emerges for the period studied. The determining role of SES in creating differentials in health status in early adulthood is much more evident.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Breschi & Alessio Fornasin & Luciana Quaranta, 2006. "Heights of twenty years old males of Friuli (Italy) born between 1846 and 1890," Statistica, Department of Statistics, University of Bologna, vol. 66(4), pages 389-414.
- Jane Humphries & Tim Leunig, 2007.
"Was Dick Whittington taller than those he left behind?: anthropometric measures, migration and the quality of life in early nineteenth century London,"
Economic History Working Papers
22317, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Humphries, Jane & Leunig, Timothy, 2009. "Was Dick Whittington taller than those he left behind? Anthropometric measures, migration and the quality of life in early nineteenth century London?," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 120-131, January.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Alderman, Harold, 2004. "Child Malnutrition in Ethiopia: Can Maternal Knowledge Augment the Role of Income?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(2), pages 287-312, January.
- Paul Glewwe, 1999. "Why Does Mother's Schooling Raise Child Health in Developing Countries? Evidence from Morocco," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(1), pages 124-159.
- Lavy, Victor & Strauss, John & Thomas, Duncan & de Vreyer, Philippe, 1996.
"Quality of health care, survival and health outcomes in Ghana,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 333-357, June.
- Lavy, V & Strauss, J & Thomas, D & de Vreyer, P, 1996. "Quality of Health Care, Survivial and Health Outcomes in Ghana," Papers 96-20, RAND - Reprint Series.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:exehis:v:48:y:2011:i:3:p:366-375. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.